Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th December 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default Stone sculpture from India

This picture shows a stone sculpture from the Rama Temple, Kumbakonam (South India). The sculpture is from about 1610, and it is clear to see that the figure in the middle is armed with a sword and a kris. (Robert Elgood, Hindu Arms and Ritual. Page 122, fig. 11.18).
Does anyone know of other kris' used in India?
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Very interesting. It sure does appear to be a keris from this viewpoint. I wish we had a close-up view.
I am unaware of the keris taking hold as a weapon anywhere outside of the Malay/Indonesia area, but certainly there must have been some trade.
It does appear that the wearer of this keris has the wrong hilt orientation though.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 09:26 PM   #3
kai

Thumbs up

Quote:
This picture shows a stone sculpture from the Rama Temple, Kumbakonam (South India). The sculpture is from about 1610, and it is clear to see that the figure in the middle is armed with a sword and a kris. (Robert Elgood, Hindu Arms and Ritual. Page 122, fig. 11.18).
Thanks, Jens! I really need to get Elgood's book...

Is this the only currently known representation from India? Any other blades with similar hilts/scabbards? (I'm not sure this really is a keris but it's definitely the closest that I've seen so far!)

So, who is the person (or figure from the Hindu iconography?) wearing this blade? Doesn't seem to be one of Mara's minions for a change!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 10:07 PM   #4
Alam Shah

Hi Jens,

Interesting... The hilt and hilt cup does have resemblance to the keris, but alas, it is sheathed. Looking at the sheath profile, it looks as if the blade is single-edged. Could it be a form of an Indian Pesh Kabz dagger instead?
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 10:34 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Hi Jens,

Interesting... The hilt and hilt cup does have resemblance to the keris, but alas, it is sheathed. Looking at the sheath profile, it looks as if the blade is single-edged. Could it be a form of an Indian Pesh Kabz dagger instead?
Geez, you guys have better eyes than i do.
I think we need a field trip to this place for better photos.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 11:00 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

From what I can see in this image, I would not be prepared to call this weapon at the waist of the figure a keris.

However, if it were, it would not surprise me, as blades from Jawa, at least, were exported into Southern India during and prior to the period associated with this staue.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 02:04 PM   #7
BluErf

Could be a curved pesh kabz, chillanum or some other similar curved dagger with an animal-headed hilt, like those on mughal daggers?
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote