Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st February 2016, 10:08 PM   #1
Cathey

Default Malaysian matchlock musket (satinggar espingarda)

Hi Guys

I am far from a gun expert and I need to give a brief and hopefully interesting talk on this Malaysian matchlock. I am hoping someone out there might be able to help me. I believe this gun is a Matchlock musket (satinggar espingarda) with snapping lock, Malaysian, 18th century. It has a plain Octagonal Barrel, polished blackwood stock, lock and mountings of heavy chased brass and appears to emulate the Japanese Teppo.

References:
George Cameron Stone, A Glossary Of The Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor.1934, p. 264, fig. 326.
Robert Elgood, Firearms Of The Islamic World...,1995. pp. 188-189, fig. 129

I did find a vague reference to these guns being used by the Portuguese to repel the attacks from the locals, which I have been unable to explore further. Also if anyone can tell me what the two dangling things are hanging from the lock I would be most grateful.

Essentially any additional details that can be provided to jazz up the description and story behind this gun will be most welcome.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
Attached Images

Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Cathey

Default can someone help

Please can someone respond to this thread, I am desperate for information, cheers Cathey
Old 4th February 2016, 08:19 AM   #3
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathey
Please can someone respond to this thread, I am desperate for information, cheers Cathey
Cathey, beautiful gun and fantastic pictures, here is a link to a thread discussing a similar matchlock, you should use the forum search function, you may find additional information, as for the chain and its use take a look at the image I posted below, the small tubes attached to the chain seem to be for holding the match cord.

Can you tell us more about the type of audience that you will be speaking to?

The Malaysian matchlock along with the Japanese, Vietnamese and a few other Asian matchlocks are "snap matchlocks", which means that the serpentine (the curved lever which holds the smoldering matchcord) locks in place when pulled back and it is released when the trigger is pulled, the smoldering matchcord touches the primer pan which ignites the powder charge which in turn ignites the powder in the barrel.

Matchlocks from India, the Ottoman empire etc used a different lock in which the serpentine fell foward when the trigger was pulled and went back into an upright position when the trigger was released.

The snap matchlock used in Asia is said to be based on Portuguese models produced in their colony at Goa India. The snap matchlock was originally a European model that was brought to Goa by European gun makers working in India. The Portuguese introduced these guns to Japan around 1543, I am not sure when they were first introduced to Malaysia. (Forum members please correct any wrong info or add additional info!!)

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20873

Wikipedia article "Snap matchlock"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_matchlock
Attached Images

Last edited by estcrh; 4th February 2016 at 08:44 AM.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 12:44 AM   #4
Cathey

Default Malaysian matchlock muskat

Hi Estcrh

Thank you for your informative response this is exactly the type of details I am looking for. The audience is the Antique and Historical Arms Collectors club and the majority of members are more modern firearm enthusiasts. As we are largely sword collectors I am a little out of my depth speaking about a gun to these guys, particularly as I only brought it because it was so attractive with no real idea what it was.

I will do as you suggested and run a search in the forum, however in additional information anyone can provide will be very gratefully received.

Cheers Cathey and Rex

PS Cathey is more grateful as Rex dobbed me in for this thing.
Old 6th February 2016, 04:10 AM   #5
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathey
Hi Estcrh

Thank you for your informative response this is exactly the type of details I am looking for. The audience is the Antique and Historical Arms Collectors club and the majority of members are more modern firearm enthusiasts. As we are largely sword collectors I am a little out of my depth speaking about a gun to these guys, particularly as I only brought it because it was so attractive with no real idea what it was.

I will do as you suggested and run a search in the forum, however in additional information anyone can provide will be very gratefully received.

Cheers Cathey and Rex

PS Cathey is more grateful as Rex dobbed me in for this thing.
Do you have any specific questions, this book is said to have some additional info on Mayasian guns, Anthony C. Tirri, Islamic Weapons Maghrib to Moghul, USA, 2003, p. 410.

your matchlock appears to be very complete and in good condition, they are rather rare although you can find some additional examples online. Another term you may try searching for is "istinggarda/istinggar".

Last edited by estcrh; 6th February 2016 at 07:40 AM.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 06:08 AM   #6
Cathey

Default Specific Questions

Hi estcrh

Thankyou for the information you have provided to date and especially the book references which I actually have in my library. The explanation for the use of the two hanging holders for the rope certainly filled in a blank that even Stones Glossary had not worked out. My next question is how does the rope actually access the pan, does it thread through he hammer of the lock. The other point I have noticed, when I compare mine to other examples the butt is very different lacking the two semi-circles to the end.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
Attached Images