Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th August 2006, 07:42 PM   #1
The Double D

Default Zulu Axe

I bid on several lots of East African weapons at an auction this past weekend. I was only sucessful in getting one lot this axe.

It's always hard to tell what you are getting when you are looking at pictures and can't physically view the item. The blade looked right but something about the haft seem wrong. It looked like someone just stuck a stick on it.

The axe should be here tomorrow.

I was going through a packet of newspaper clippings this evening of the 1979 Centennial memorial of the battle of Isandlwana and found this picture Chief Gasta Bethelezi at the memorial. Look what he has in his hand

It's about as good a confirmation of ethnicity as you can get to see a Zulu Chief hold the same pattern axe. Even down to the shaft that I was skeptical of.

Is it tomorrow yet?
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Congoblades

some old zulu battle-axes (from the book, Zulus, Ian Knight)
Attached Images

Congoblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 09:22 PM   #3
katana

In my experience, as Congoblades has pointed out axes are not commonly associated with the Zulu....there is a strong possibility that it is Swazi.
Below is a picture of a Swazi ceremonial axe....notice the blade design is very similar ....although the shaft is more ornate

Swazi Ceremonial Axe; Between sixty and eighty years old. The blade may be older. When the owner dies, normally the wooden shaft would be broken at the grave. Then the son will use the blade to make a new axe
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 06:34 AM   #4
The Double D

There are some subtle difference between the pictured Swazi Axe and the one I now call a Zulu axe. The difference may be only because they were made by two different persons or they may be cultural. I don't know.

Bryant in The Zulu People does say the Zulu's made axes or iZembe. Were these axes the type we see here or something else all together, he doesn't say. Krige in The Social System of the Zulus refers to a battle axe or iZenze. She says there is no record of them used in battle since Shaka's days, and she references Samuelson Long, Long Ago. I don't have Samuelson.

Bryant further clouds the issue by saying the "battle-axe of the the Sutus, Swazis and other neighbouring Bantu, though known to the Zulus by importation (and called imBemba) was never one of their war weapons"

I agree that there was a good deal of trade and taking of spoils going on in the area. The Tsongas, Zulus, Swazis and other Bantu were all neighbors. It seems natural they would have each others weapons.

And of course the display by Chief Buthelezi of the Axe in a public setting might be just a fantasy symbol.

I do note however that the axe I bid on and won seem to have the same charactoristics in blade shape and haft as the Chiefs.
Old 18th August 2006, 07:03 AM   #5
Bill M

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I know little about Zulu, but have bought some good pieces from this seller before. He seems very knowledgeable.

I have an old Swazi axe like the above also. It is my understanding that these were ceremonial.

Bill,
aka Naga Basuki
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 05:48 PM   #6
The Double D

I found this photo in my personal collection. It is another picture of Chief Buthelezi in front of the Zulu impi at the Isandlwana Centennial.

He is holding the same pattern axe as I have acquired. I'm convinced that the axe I have acquired is Zulu. It is no were near as fancy as the others from neighboring tribes, but has it's own similar but distinct characteristics.

I think these things are more like scepters than weapons.

Now if the express courior would just deliver it.

Chief Buthelezi is an interesting person unto himself Chief Buthelezi