Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st February 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Philippine Dagger Just Ended On Ebay

Nice Philippine dagger with a very unusual guard. Thank you Steve for pointing this out to me. Looks like a lot of the turtle shell is missing off the scabbard. Will know more of were in the Philippines when it arrives and I can see the end of the grip. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ies%26_fvi%3D1
Comments are welcomed on this especially on the guard and its possible use in fighting. Will post new pictures when it arrives.

Robert

Here are the pictures from the auction.
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 2nd February 2009 at 03:27 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Atlantia

Looks really nice mate!
Certainly going to be amongst friends in your collection
Definately post some pics when it arrives!

Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 03:34 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Thank You for your interest Gene. Yes, it will have new friends when it arrives, including a straight bladed brother with the same style of scabbard. Will post pictures as soon as it arrives and as has been cleaned of the rust on the blade. Any thoughts on the strange shape of the guard? Something else that is odd about this, the hilt looks to be off-set and not centered to the blade. I've seen this quite a bit on Philippine swords and knives that are of Spanish influence in their design but this is the first dagger I've seen like this. Comments anyone ?

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 2nd February 2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 2nd February 2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Atlantia

Hi Robert.
Well these are completely out of my experience, so I'm just an interested admirer, but the guard looks like its been made as a tool. One side elongated and pointed the other shorter broader and flattened.
Could it be old enough to have been used alongside muzzle loaders?
A little spike and flat screwdriver could be useful?

Just a wild guess

Regards
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Dimasalang

Very nice! Nice price too.

I hope and pray I can find a Philippine dagger like this someday. Why cant I ever get this lucky... sigh...
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Gene, Going by the pictures I would only estimate the age of this dagger to be first quarter 20th century at best and more likely the second quarter. I will know more when it arrives. What still looks odd in the pictures is that if the hilt is off-set it looks like it was designed to be held with the pointed side of the guard pointing down or out (fingers side) and the shorter side (thumb side) pointing up or in. Most daggers with straight guards that I've seen seem to be designed to be griped ether way.

Dimasalang, Thank you very much for your kind words. If this had not been pointed out to me by another member of this forum I might have overlooked it myself. There are still probably quite a few of these out there so you should be able to find one. Good luck in the hunt and when you do find one please post pictures. Thank you both again for you interest.

Robert