|
|
|
30th June 2024, 05:09 PM | #1 |
|
Are there any good English language books on Caucasian arms and armor?
I’m new to this specific area of collecting, so I’m wondering if there are any good English language works or resources so I can learn more about Caucasian edged weapons
|
30th June 2024, 08:44 PM | #2 |
|
I would recommend Kirill Rivkin's Arms and Armor of Caucasus, although I cannot comment on the factual accuracy of the text as I have no expertise on that subject.
|
30th June 2024, 09:08 PM | #3 | |
|
Quote:
The book is in two languages: Russian and English. Also a great book: Yuri Miller, Caucasian Arms from the State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg, Danish/English |
|
30th June 2024, 11:34 PM | #4 |
Arms Historian
|
All of these books recommended are excellent!
Kirill Rivkin's book is a MUST! and while I am certainly not any expert on this topic, I have collected and researched in degree, and others I know in this field who are, endorse it highly. |
1st July 2024, 04:42 PM | #5 |
|
I also recommend Rivkin's book, as it encompasses the entire region and all the various weapons types.
|
2nd July 2024, 05:54 PM | #6 |
|
Unfortunately, the good books on the subject are in a language incomprehensible to English speakers . This is why they offer you Rivkin's book (not that there is another). Of course, it can serve as a general idea on the topic
|
2nd July 2024, 06:16 PM | #7 |
|
The book of Yuri Miller, Caucasian Arms from the State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg is in Danish/English language is highly recommended and should be readable for everyone here
|
3rd July 2024, 12:27 AM | #8 | |
Arms Historian
|
Quote:
Which books are these you refer to? I believe Kirill Rivkin is well versed in most references of other languages referrjng to these weapons. This is why his book is so valuable, he has access and understanding of a considerable number of the 'good books' you allude to. His book is FAR from general ideas on this topic and THAT is why I recommended it. As Udo has noted, the book by Yuri Miller which has both Danish and English languages in text is also excellent. I believe many of the 'good books' you refer to are likely in Rivkin's bibliography, but am curious to know which books you refer to. Actually some years ago when researching these topics, many of us actually had references translated! |
|
|
|