Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th April 2005, 08:39 AM   #1
vinny

Question importing Keris to UK

Hi

I am intersted in puchasing a nice Keris on ebay. It is in Indonesia. I am in the UK. Does anyone know if I am likely to enter any problems with customs?

Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks
Vinny
vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 09:11 AM   #2
tom hyle

Dunno specifically, but it can be a can of worms. I know coming into USA gifts are not taxed, but commercial goods can be taxed on the sale value, or as far as I know, whatever value the government wants to assign (and I hear that this can get real ugly).

Last edited by Mark Bowditch; 19th April 2005 at 10:14 PM.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 09:54 AM   #3
vinny

Hi Tom

Thanks for the advice. My Brother bought some keris a few years ago in Kelantan, and put them in his cargo luggage. The vendor wrote him out a certificate stating that the items were Malay antiques, as she said he might get problems with them being confiscated as weapons. I think things are alot stricter now. I have had a look around at customs websites etc, and I think bladed items are generally frowned on. But if its a bonafide antique? I dunno either.

Regards
Vinny

Last edited by Mark Bowditch; 19th April 2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 18th April 2005, 10:52 AM   #4
spiral

Ive imported many antique kukri into the UK, as long as not Ivory there is no problem, with swords etc.

The post office/customs often use metal detectors & xray equipment & subterfuge may not be appreciated.

Tax & fees seem to vary massively.

Spiral

Last edited by Mark Bowditch; 19th April 2005 at 10:16 PM.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 11:31 AM   #5
vinny

Hi Spiral

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Regards
Vinny
Old 18th April 2005, 01:38 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Vinny,

I don’t know, so I can’t help you, other than advise you to have a look at the English Customs homepage. This ought to give you all the information you need.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2005, 03:18 PM   #7
Kiai Carita

Default If The Keris Wants You Vinny

Vinny, I go to and fro Indonesia and the UK and always bring at least one keris with me but not in my hand luggage. Sometimes I remember to explain beforehand that I have my pusaka but sometimes I forget but never have I had a problem with customs. I take the textile padding out of the hilt and wrap the whole blade in a respectful and perfumed bag so that the if one grabs the handle it will come off without the blade. I think this helps the customs people not imagining violence in assosciation with the keris. The keris is never intended to be a weapon rather it is a prayer and a symbol of God and the higher self of the owner. Further away from Java the keris developed more as a weapon but in Java most keris used to kill became cursed kerises. You should be able to bring the keris in via FedEx of UPS or some other shipping company. They know all the rules and regulations of importing anything.

Salam keris
Kiai Carita
Kiai Carita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 02:04 PM   #8
vinny

Pak Kiai

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about postage. I do not think I will be able to get over this year, but hopefully next year. I like your tip on freeing up the Ukiran. Will bear that in mind when I next travel.

Fully appreciate everything else you said.

Regards
Vinny