I hope is enough good for the forum and fernando
mis saludos
jacques
Attached Images

VANDERNOTTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Foxbat

Hello,

This is a composite piece. The blade could be from 17th century, of reasonable quality, judging from nor too great pictures. The guard is most likely later, 18th century. Grip is also a later replacement, and the 17th century pommel, of popular form, is also likely a later addition. Of course you know that one quillon is broken off.
Foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 01:37 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hola Jacques,
Nice sword you have there.
The guard cup (taza) type is what we call in portuguese Margarida (daizy = margarita) and i wouldn't reject the idea that is also from the XVII century.
The drawing you made with the blade inscription is rather hard to read or understand. It would be nice to have close up pictures of the blade with the real inscriptions, from both sides. Maybe it represents the sword maker's name and some of us could find out who he would be.
You should also look in the recazo and watch for a possible maker's mark (symbol).

Saludos

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 21st November 2012 at 01:52 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Foxbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
The guard cup (taza) type is what we call in portuguese Margarida (daizy = margarita) and i wouldn't reject the idea that is also from the XVII century.

The style of the taza could be consistent with the 17th century, but the way the guard attaches to the pommel strongly suggests later period. Is it possible that the taza and the guard were mated later in their life? Yes, but the pictures do not provide evidence of that.
Foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat
The style of the taza could be consistent with the 17th century, but the way the guard attaches to the pommel strongly suggests later period. Is it possible that the taza and the guard were mated later in their life? Yes, but the pictures do not provide evidence of that.
Actually this guard is attached to the pommel in a very unnatural way. Yes, the mating of both guard and cup at a later stage is, as you say, possible but unlikely. With pictures taken in different angles, one could see if there are any extra screw holes or other signs of having refixed both parts. Amazingly this is a more remote probability in Portuguese cup hilt swords as, usually, the cup is welded (and not screwed) to the guard.
We must say usually as, one must not ignore that within a large range of time including the concerned period, weapons smiths would often follow the 'Iberian' fashion.
On the other hand, the method of attaching the guard to the pommel would be a system mainly adopted by military. Many exceptions to this habit clearly showed alterations later made in original (civilian) guards.
The example discussed here, 'rapier' blade and all, must have been born a civilian sword.
Yes, better pictures would (probably) help to clarify things.

Mejores y diferentes fotos, Jacques ... es posible ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 06:44 PM   #6
VANDERNOTTE

Default rapeir

gracias fernando
give me a few day for new pic
un abarzo
jacques
VANDERNOTTE is offline   Reply With Quote