Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2006, 02:24 AM   #1
Bill M

Default Tegha

Indian Sword. 38" long overall and 3 3/4" wide.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 04:21 AM   #2
ariel

My intuitive feeling is that Indian swords with profuse brass inlays are more likely to be tourist grade, aimed at dazzling the unsuspecting Westerners... Please surprise me !
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
My intuitive feeling is that Indian swords with profuse brass inlays are more likely to be tourist grade, aimed at dazzling the unsuspecting Westerners... Please surprise me !
Hi Ariel,

Usually I would agree. First, this is a substantial sword. Has a sharp edge, not razor sharp, but enough to cut with the weight of this piece behind it.

Also take a look here.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=2194

Not a definitive answer, but a good indication.

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 22nd December 2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 22nd December 2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Emanuel

Hi Bill, nice sword!

"Sacrificial" comes to mind
I wonder why the executioner is wearing all those spikes and carrying a shield when his job is decapitating a (presumably) tied victim. Must be an interesting story there.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hi Bill, nice sword!

"Sacrificial" comes to mind
I wonder why the executioner is wearing all those spikes and carrying a shield when his job is decapitating a (presumably) tied victim. Must be an interesting story there.

Regards,
Emanuel
Thanks Emanuel,

He should not need protection against a tied victim, however there is always a question of a spiritual attack from the dead. Quite a concern, actually, especially if you were the one sending him on his journey!

I don't think that he is necessarily dressed for combat in a usual sense. For one thing he is barefoot which could indicate a desire for a good connection and grounding with the earth rather than protection from the physical weapons.

I do like the armor, but the spikes would be of marginal value against swords, spears, arrows, etc. But it might. if properly consecrated, keep a spirit away, at least in their belief system.

It is very difficult to even get a marginal understand another culture's symbolism unless you can dig deeply into their religion and psyche. Even then true understanding will likely escape you.
Old 22nd December 2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

I don’t know what these teghas were used for, it could be executioner’s swords, or it could be swords used by guards – or maybe something else.

Egerton referrers to them in his book, see #398 and 399. He does not write what they were used for, but he writes that both were from Jodhpur, and in a note to the first one he writes. ‘….Much used by Mahrattes and Rajpoots in the time of Hyder Ali. Very hard and brittle’.

This could indicate that they were not used as
executioner’s swords, as the number of executioner’s must have been limited.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 02:50 AM   #7
Emanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
He should not need protection against a tied victim, however there is always a question of a spiritual attack from the dead. Quite a concern, actually, especially if you were the one sending him on his journey!...desire for a good connection and grounding with the earth rather than protection from the physical weapons...it might. if properly consecrated, keep a spirit away, at least in their belief system.
I like your thinking Bill.
I must admit I haven't considered this in relation to Indian cutoms. To me Indians seem more "down to earth" and less concerned with the spirit world than more shamanistic/animist cultures.
Something to keep in mind when I'll be able to consider starting to collect these!

All the best,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote