Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th June 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
cmario88

Default Antique Jade Sword

Greetings Everyone! I’ve come to this forum hoping that someone can shed additional light on this sword I have. I’ve taken it to an appraiser and have posted on one other forum that specializes on Asian Antiques. I’d like to hold off on opinions I have gathered so far but will tell you the jade pieces real. I’ve also included a photo of a “Certificate of Authenticity” but have found that opinions vary on acceptance of such documents. Look forward to everyone’s thoughts and thank you in advance.
Attached Images

cmario88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 08:40 AM   #2
kronckew

who cleaned it? no wear, no patina? where has it been if it's over 100yrs old? picture of it outside the scabbard & of blade please. i personally am a bit sceptical of real 'antiques' from china as their export is illegal.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Iain

I'd be interested to see the blade. It's not impossible that genuine antiques do come out of China. I had a number of years ago a very rusty composite jian with similar certificate. As I didn't have the time to restore it I passed it along to another collector who had it assessed by two experts and it turned out to be possibly not even Chinese but likely 17th century.

So strange things can happen. Unfortunately with this one I'm somewhat doubtful, it looks very clean.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 11:16 AM   #4
ALEX

Welcome to the Forum, Cmario88.
I resonate the above concerns. There are no visible signs of wear and tear, which is usually associated with old swords, even if they were ceremonial like yours. Posting the close-up of the blade will help. In addition, that appraisal is very vague. It states that the jade, corals, stones and silver are old, which is totally meaningless, as it refers to raw material:-) The work, however, is in question, it looks too fresh. Also, do you know that the date of this paper is authentic, i.e. 1976? When it comes to Chinese "Certificate of Antiquity" - even the paper can be new:-)
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default I too agree

Welcome cmario88.

I to agree to this not being older than 1970.
My opinion looking at the images is that it is copper formed that is plated in low quality gold and silver, look close to the suspension fittings and it shows to my eye the gold incorrectly going over the silver...almost like it was dipped.

My 2 cents.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Nathaniel

Hmmm.....One of the Chinese language sword forums I know of has a section devoted towards "newer" Chinese antiquities....
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote