Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th June 2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Dmitry

Default Omani Kattara/Sayf help with proper dating.

The blade is 84 cm long, 4.5 cm wide. Sword is 98 cm long overall. The scabbard is wood, covered with three sections of tooled leather, and two sections of very fine calf-skin, or similar finely-worked leather, something I haven't seen before. Hilt is completely wrapped in leather and oil-cloth. Blade is somewhat flexible, but not easily bent, and has a nice temper, with no markings of any kind. By the looks of it, I would say it dates to some time in the 1800s.
Looking forward to your opinions, Ibrahim and other Omani swords connoisseurs.
Attached Images

Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 08:49 PM   #2
kahnjar1

Hi Dmitry,
Not Omani IMHO but likely Manding.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 12:23 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree Leather work and style seems Manding..the blade is the masri style triple central fuller, though no dukari moons.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Dmitry

Wow, I was way off. Just checked, and it's definitely not what I thought it was. Proves you can't really know a little bit about everything.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually the geographical provenance is understandably complicated as the trade routes account for the vast diffusion here. The Omani Sultanate at Zanzibar was not only a maritime trade center, but a powerful entrepot where trade entered various routes into the interior among others. When the compelling similarity between Omani kattara and Manding sabres is considered, it seems quite understandable that these forms reflect the plausible connections between these distant locations.

The kaskara style blade likely traversed into regions to the west along with other commerce , and with Manding being the merchant tribes in virtual control of routes into thier regions ended up in these mounts, at least that is what appears the scenario.

The only thing way off is the distance, not the observation
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Actually the geographical provenance is understandably complicated as the trade routes account for the vast diffusion here. The Omani Sultanate at Zanzibar was not only a maritime trade center, but a powerful entrepot where trade entered various routes into the interior among others. When the compelling similarity between Omani kattara and Manding sabres is considered, it seems quite understandable that these forms reflect the plausible connections between these distant locations.

The kaskara style blade likely traversed into regions to the west along with other commerce , and with Manding being the merchant tribes in virtual control of routes into thier regions ended up in these mounts, at least that is what appears the scenario.

The only thing way off is the distance, not the observation

Salaams Jim..It is interesting to observe the possible transition of the curved bladed Omani Kattara long hilt... which appears to have rebounded possibly via the slave trade through Zanzibar and was taken up as the chosen hilt onto the straight Omani Sayf around the current Dynasty coming to power in about 1744. Here we can see possible parallels with the Manding etc... though I am uncertain which way the hilt moved between Manding and Omani Kattara and since a lot of influence tended to move in the direction of the religion in favour at the time perhaps that can be looked at.

I would certainly look at the Slave Traders as instrumental in blending the curved Omani Kattara with a long African Hilt and being instrumental in advising the hilt as a good fit for the Omani Straight Sayf.. The Pageant and dancing sword.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote