Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th February 2017, 08:45 AM   #1
HUSAR

Default european sword for ID

Hi I have not been here for ages ... recently got new sword or something what it was... any ideas on markings, Passau? This is not my area, but I know this item for many years and maybe I will get it for my collection... any comments
Attached Images

HUSAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 09:58 AM   #2
kronckew

any photos of the whole thing? dimensions would be nice too. looks german side sword-ish.

bit of elbow grease and a new grip and she'll be almost good as new
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 11:48 AM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSAR
Hi I have not been here for ages ...
Almost seven years, Damian. I was worried something wrong happened with you. Welcome back .
Probably one of our knowledged members will say something definite about your sword. Pictures of the whole thing would be important, as suggested by Wayne.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Reventlov

Hello,
It looks like a great specimen! I agree that it is German, and might date to around 1530ish. The wolf-mark originates from Passau, but was already being copied elsewhere I think - in Solingen for example. There are two similar swords in Zurich that have a fairly similar "forked-cross" mark (but no wolf-mark).

best,
Mark
Attached Images

Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 06:05 PM   #5
HUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reventlov
Hello,
It looks like a great specimen! I agree that it is German, and might date to around 1530ish. The wolf-mark originates from Passau, but was already being copied elsewhere I think - in Solingen for example. There are two similar swords in Zurich that have a fairly similar "forked-cross" mark (but no wolf-mark).

best,
Mark
Mark Thank You Very Very Much for reply and information, wolf is on one side while "forked-cross" on both. I will try to place some more pics tomorrow. The sword is in rusty condition and was at least 24 years on my friends wall (this is when I first time saw it) and inlays seems to be in gold while still a bit shiny.
Old 20th February 2017, 05:53 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Husar, great to have you back!!! It does not seem you were gone that long as I remember your avatar and name clearly.
Looks like a fantastic example, and even more so that it has been static for so long in a collection you know.

The latten markings are outstanding, and excellent input there Mark, with the chart and excerpts of examples!

This of the period being suggested by Mark in my opinion, and the running wolf is of course a Solingen issue of the Passau established marking. The chart from Eduard Wagner (1967) showing the running wolf variations is of course not a chronological development study, but exemplars Wagner had noted from various weapons he had examined and their approximate period.
The forked cross also appears a Solingen issue of similar markings used in Milan (usually with letter beneath) and paired with the wolf as quality or other imbuement.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSAR
Mark Thank You Very Very Much for reply and information, wolf is on one side while "forked-cross" on both. I will try to place some more pics tomorrow.
You're very welcome! It would be great to see the full length of the sword, and the mark on the other side. Also, is it as large as the swords in Zurich?
Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 07:58 PM   #8
HUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reventlov
You're very welcome! It would be great to see the full length of the sword, and the mark on the other side. Also, is it as large as the swords in Zurich?
Finally I have found few minutes to take pic of whole sword, sorry not the best one I will try to make some in daylight tomorrow
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2017, 05:57 PM   #9
HUSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Almost seven years, Damian. I was worried something wrong happened with you. Welcome back .
Probably one of our knowledged members will say something definite about your sword. Pictures of the whole thing would be important, as suggested by Wayne.
yes almost seven lot of work recently and not much time for collecting but some few items came in will try to post some pics soon