Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th January 2008, 05:21 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default outside the square

Here is a link that will take you to a story about UFO's & etc.

Nothing at all to do with keris.

Or is it?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/96014
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 04:52 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Here is a link that will take you to a story about UFO's & etc.

Nothing at all to do with keris.

Or is it?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/96014
Actually i agree with you Alan. This article could have a great deal to do with keris...or not.
What i find humorous, and perhaps a bit annoying about the article is that it doesn't seem to accept the possibility for one moment that the "real" explanation for these sightings might have been an actual alien visitation.
Interestingly enough, i think it might be harder for people of faith to accept the alien visitation explanation than people of science, as in most faiths extra-terrestrial live (especial one with superior technology to us humans) would stand against many religious domgas and belief systems.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 06:38 PM   #3
tunggulametung

Something that we cannot proove (so far?) that they are exist, and on the other hand we cannot prove that they are not exist, just like mystic or spirit. I guess there is a term of seeing is believing.

"there are things known and things unknown" - James Douglas Morrison
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 08:19 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

I didn't post this to try to start a discussion on whether aliens and UFO's exist or not, nor to explore the philosophy of the concept that seeing is believing.

I posted it because I thought that perhaps some of us may like to give some thought to the way in which the human mind works, especially the communal human mind.

Seeing something can certainly lead to belief in something.

In about 1987 or 1988 I was in Solo when it was hit by an incredible wind storm. All over Solo and through to the south coast there was ernormous damage done by the wind, followed by torrential rain. The following morning thousands of people from outlaying districts had converged on the kraton.
After a few days, when everything had settled down I made it my business to find and speak with some of the people who had assembled at the kraton. I asked how they had known that they needed to go to the kraton. Who had told them to go? Had they seen neighbours going so they went too? Why had they gone? Was there previous experience guiding them? I was invariably told by all the people I talked with that each person had acted independently:- they just knew that they had to assemble at the kraton. They were not quite sure why they had to go, but they had to go. Nobody told them, some people that I spoke with lived in houses that were isolated from neighbours, as soon as they knew they had to go, they immediately left home and started to make their way to the kraton. They joined with others along the way, but their action to leave home and go was an individual action.
Many of the people living within and near the kraton had seen a presence that was Nyai Loro Kidul. I spoke to three of these people, and there was no doubt at all in my mind that they did see a glowing green light like a ball of green fire with a long tail that circled the outside of the kraton walls above head height. How did they know it was Nyai Loro Kidul? They just knew. Did somebody tell them it was Nyai Loro Kidul, or had they ever heard or seen something like this before? No, they just knew.

I'm not offering any explanations here. I'm not supporting any beliefs or denying any beliefs. All I'm doing is telling a story that is a part of my personal experience.

Have another look at the UFO story and separate the elements of the story from aliens, UFO's and etc, and focus on that part of the story that deals with the functioning of the human mind. Then think about that.Having thought, then apply those thoughts to what we think we might understand about keris belief.
Old 26th January 2008, 11:00 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I didn't post this to try to start a discussion on whether aliens and UFO's exist or not, nor to explore the philosophy of the concept that seeing is believing.
I posted it because I thought that perhaps some of us may like to give some thought to the way in which the human mind works, especially the communal human mind.
Alan, i think you misunderstood my response. I realize your purpose in your posting, but how the established mind-set views the phenomenon of UFO reports and their seeming need to come up with any other answer then the one where the aliens actually exist is just as telling and applicable to the discussion of how we look at the keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 11:08 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Possibly.

As I said:- consideration of the workings of the human mind. That encompasses not only communal consciousness, but belief systems and the substitution of perceived logic for faith.