Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th December 2005, 11:52 AM   #1
VVV

Default Interesting odd klewang at eBay

Not sure what this sword is but maybe some of the other forumites have any clues?
It's however not a Latok as described.
I haven't been able to find neither the hilt nor blade in any reference litterature.
Could it be any of the Batak tribes close to Aceh?
Or Visayan?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW%3AIT&rd=1

Michael

Last edited by VVV; 15th December 2005 at 01:31 PM.
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Michael:

I was following that one too and don't recognize it as an established sword style. Even managed to get in a bid that fell way short. I don't know where it's from but the blade struck me as a modified European saber. The hilt seems to show some Sumatran/Aceh influence, while the terminal "bud" does look a little Visayan.

Maybe a custom assembly for a European living in Sumatra.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 01:25 PM   #3
kai

My condolences to all fellow bidders...

I'm stumped, too. Some Parang Nabur blades are similar but I can't recall a similarly extensive fuller. I was thinking more of a Ladieng without the usual broadened tip. The light construction seems to suggest a fighting piece rather than a tool and I hoped the obscure hilt would help to pin down the origin of this beast eventually.

I'm not sure about the blade - a decent etching might reveal more about the forging process. However, is it possible to grind this tip shape out of an European blade without getting a very thin tip where the fuller would pass, Ian?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 01:55 PM   #4
VVV

Ian and Kai,

Thanks for your interesting comments.
Ian, the idea of a rehilted European saber is interesting. Either made for a European or captured/traded by f.i. a Batak who made some personal modifications regarding the hilt.
The hilt is confusing. Very much like a Rudus hilt on the grip but the top part doesn't fit in.
Kai, I also first thought of a Ladieng until I looked closer to the Seller's pictures. On the Nabur I agree on the fuller as well as they are not as slender as this blade.

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 02:17 PM   #5
kai

Hi Michael,

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
On the Nabur I agree on the fuller as well as they are not as slender as this blade.
Well, Fig. 388 in Zonneveld shows a Nabur with also very slender blade. Incidentally, 389 & 390 show a shallow fuller (still quite different from the discussed example) and the latter pic also has a very vaguely bud-like pommel piece. Borneo is a vast area, so poorly known hilt types may be a possibility.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Bill

Agree with Kai and the examples cited. May have been originally doubled edged towards the blade tip or modified for definitive warfare; used like the panabas as a clean-up.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 02:51 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I'm not sure about the blade - a decent etching might reveal more about the forging process. However, is it possible to grind this tip shape out of an European blade without getting a very thin tip where the fuller would pass, Ian?

Regards,
Kai
Kai:

I don't know, Kai, but that whole tip area looks heavily pitted which suggested to me that it may have been "reworked." The amount of wear there is disproportionate to the rest of the blade. Perhaps others might be able to answer that question. I suppose it would depend how long the original saber was, and how much it may have been shortened, as to how thin the fuller may have been.

Interesting sword.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote