Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th July 2006, 05:36 PM   #1
mross

Exclamation More UK silliness

This article appeared in Blade Magazine, they are going a bit daft over there.
Any spelling or grammer errors are probably mine. I'm posting the article and some comments at the end.

British Go Overboard on Bat'leth
The pointy-eared Mr. Spock of Star Trek fame would sum it up in one word: "Illogical."
In the latest in a long series of irrational reactions to knives and swords by the British media, law enforcement and lawmakers, local police confiscated a reproduction of a Klingon "bat'leth" blade from a home in Gloucester, England.
One of several pieces originally designed by Blade Magazine Cutlery Hall-Of-Famer Gil Hibben for the Star Trek; The Next Generation series of the 1980s-'90s, the 5-foot-long bat'leth is the traditonal "sword of honor" prefereed by TNG's Klingon warriors adept the martial arts. Who made the confiscated bat'leth was unknown at press time.
A story on the Internet from the England-based Online Sun is typical of how the British seem to have somehow granted knives and swords the ability to wreak havoc entirely on their own. For instance the story stated that the confiscated bat'leth is "capable of beheading a man." Wow! All by itself? The story added that the inspector on the scene said the bat'leth " had been sharpened to kill" So does that mean the kind of stone used to sharpen it was a gravestone?
Seriously, folks, if you plan to visit England. leave your knives at home, If you carry a knife there, you risk fine, imprisonment or both.

That's the article. I hate to see what would happen if they raid a sushi place all those razor sharp knives are just murders waiting to happen. And if a UK collector is unlucky to have a knife from Jimmy Fikes, well off to the gallows with him he must be a homicidal maniac.

Last edited by mross; 13th July 2006 at 08:54 PM. Reason: fixed some spelling errors
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 05:44 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Yes crazy. It will be garden spades next they too can have a very keen edge with a long reach. The handle end works well as a club. A wonderful two handed close quarter weapon.

I bet it was a scum bag that sharpened the star treck weapon .
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 08:29 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

DURING WW1 AND SUBSEQUENT WARS IT WAS NOT UNCOMMON TO SHARPEN YOUR SHOVEL NOT ONLY FOR DIGGING BUT FOR USE AS A WEAPON THEY CAN ALSO TAKE OFF A HEAD. A GARDEN HOE IS GREAT FOR SNAKE KILLING AND WOULD ALSO BE A DANGEROUS WEAPON AND HOW SCARY IS THE MODERN GARDEN WEASEL TOOL AS MUCH AS THE ENGLISH LOVE GARDENING IT WILL BE VERRY DIFFICULT FOR THEM WHEN THEY ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO USE THEIR HANDS. BUT NEVER FEAR THE ATHORITYS WILL HAVE PLENTY OF GUNS AND KNIVES TO PROTECT THEM WITH OR USE ON THEM IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT. DEMENTED LAWS MADE BY POLITICIANS PRAISED BY THE PRESS AND ENFORCED BY THOSE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO SUPPORT AND PROTECT THE LAW ABIDING CITIZENS ,ILLOGICAL INDEED!!!
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 10:34 PM   #4
ariel

It is rather interesting that the softer the anti-terrorist laws, the stricter the anti-weapons laws.
Soon our British friends (and the entire Europe) will allow TNT as the means of self-expression for certain "progressive, anti-oppression" strata of the population and ban forks...
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 05:11 PM   #5
mross

One of my reason for posting this is I remember on of our UK friends thought the new laws only pertained to carry/concealed weapons. This article seems to imply that is not the case. However,I don't know what led up to the police going to confiscate it. Maybe some of our UK friends who have heard about this can shed some light on it?
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 05:34 PM   #6
spiral

Mross at the time bieng your perception or perhaps just the written implication of the article is wrong.

Even 20 years ago if police raided somewhere for any reason, drugs, domestic violence, disturbing the peace, etc. etc it was routine to confiscate weapons, usualy for "forensic testing."

They could be reclaimed a few months later.

If there is evidence the weapons were to be used in commision of a crime that is also an offence here & allows them to be siezed.

Hopefully in house "weapons" will remain legal for collectors {they still are today.}, but who knows what the futre holds for any of us.

If I took the word of even English newspapers & magazines as the truth about interpritation of the law, I would be very misled.

Many Publishers just print sensational junk to gain sales & make money.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 08:34 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

The reason why we have panic in the UK, sounds like a punk song, is that we all walk around unarmed here but we do not like the odd sh1t heads that carry knives. We find them rather scary. I know the panic is illogical but we are only human.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote