Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st October 2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Naga Sasra

Smile Gold Cross on top of Pesi

Dear Forum Members,
Over the years I have run into the Pesi top of several Keris have a cross in it, the cross is most of the time filled with gold, or as in one instance no gold just the cross.
This has puzzled me as it could be perhaps a makers mark, it could signify PB X and properly a lot of other meanings, that I would like to ask the forum to help me to identify.
I thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Gustav

The name of this art of pesi is pesi Tapak Jalak.

In "Keris Jawa antara Mistik dan Nalar" on page 162:

"Pesi tapak jalak, pada permukaan ujungnya diberi dua guratan bersilang seperti tanda plus (+) yang diisi emas atau perak , oleh sebagian masyarakat dianggap mempunyai tuah tertentu."

(I hope somebody who speaks Bahasa can translate it.)
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Naga Sasra

Wow, that was really quick, I must admit that I saw the entry in the book but have been unable to translate the sentence (Help Please).

As it is a rather short statement, perhaps someone out there can expand on the meaning of the cross. Such as why? when? whom? where? ect.

Thank you Gustav for your quick reply.
Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 01:10 AM   #4
Sajen

When I understand it correct with my unperfect and little knowlegde in bahasa Indonesia is the meaning that this cross, sometimes inlaid with gold or silver is for high status and respect people. But I am sure that Alan or someone from Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore can translate it better than I am. BTW, I have seen this cross also already by good blades.

sajen

Last edited by Sajen; 1st November 2009 at 01:37 AM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 03:44 AM   #5
Moshah

Detlef was really close, as the exact translation would be "Pesi tapak jalak, where at the surface of the edge of the pesi was given a mark just like a plus (+) sign and filled up with gold or silver, by some societies this doing was associated with enticing some certain luck."

I hope it conveys the right meaning.

BTW, this doing must be of some kind of special cases, if not who would bother to do such thing?
Moshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 08:17 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Moshah's translation is near enough, but in English, we would write the idea conveyed like this:-

Pesi tapak jalak, on the surface of the tip there are two crossed lines, like a plus (+) sign, which are filled with gold or silver; by a part of the community this is considered to have a certain talismanic value.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote