Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th July 2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Corsican Vendetta Daggers

Well, after Wayne and I both expressed a wish to own one the other day......
One came my way (Sorry kronckew)

Stamped makers marks: 'Robert Badani Bastia'
Etched legend:

vai al cuore del nemico vendetta corsa

you go to the heart of the enemy. Vendetta Run

I'll take some better pics in daylight tomorrow.
So, anyone else want to show off theirs?

Last edited by Atlantia; 25th July 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 10:22 AM   #2
kronckew

well, i've got a vendetta folder similar to that one, mine has horn grips,

i was thinking more along the lines of the fixed blade versions like these ones: (sadly not mine)
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th July 2010 at 10:33 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Atlantia

Hi bud,

Yeah the fixed blade ones are beautiful.
But I do like these folders, and they are the ones that tend to have the great inscriptions on the blades

Old 29th July 2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Atlantia

I'm shocked that noboby has come in to discuss the beautiful fixed blade Vendetta daggers, but I'm also suprised there is no interest in these large folders?
They date back into 19thC and tend to have colourful inscriptions like: 'May your wounds be mortal' or 'You go straight to the heart of the enemy' etc.
Old 30th July 2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Chris Evans

Atlantia,

I don't know all that much about these folders, except that most were made in France.

What I consider significant about them, as with many French "navajas", is that despite the fierce wording of the inscribed legends and often large size, they lacked a mechanical lock that would render them safe (for the wielder) for thrusting. As such, I strongly suspect that they were not intended for violent use, rather souvenirs, or at most, common cutting implements designed to fit in with restrictve laws.

That so many ornate Spanish and French folders survive to this day, without the usual signs or repeated sharpening and other wear and tear associated with regular usage, strongly suggests that these were display pieces or souvenirs.

As collectors, we gravitate towards the most attractive and well preserved specimens and over time this acts as a filter and removes from circulation those less attractive implements that were used in earnest.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Evans
Atlantia,

I don't know all that much about these folders, except that most were made in France.

What I consider significant about them, as with many French "navajas", is that despite the fierce wording of the inscribed legends and often large size, they lacked a mechanical lock that would render them safe (for the wielder) for thrusting. As such, I strongly suspect that they were not intended for violent use, rather souvenirs, or at most, common cutting implements designed to fit in with restrictve laws.

That so many ornate Spanish and French folders survive to this day, without the usual signs or repeated sharpening and other wear and tear associated with regular usage, strongly suggests that these were display pieces or souvenirs.

As collectors, we gravitate towards the most attractive and well preserved specimens and over time this acts as a filter and removes from circulation those less attractive implements that were used in earnest.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

Well, TBH I think you are being a bit unkind about the folders.
Absolutely they are 'souvenir' items (you can see mine has 'Souvenir De Bastia' on the grip), but then so really are many Spanish, South American, and many other blades of the same period.
I think you are quite right that they were made to also accomodate a tightening of laws as with Navajas.
As for the lack of a lock. The one I have would serve the purpose perfectly well without, having as it does a tremendously rigid spring that 'snaps' the blade into place. Its a full two handed job to close the damn thing.
As for use... well I can't see it being a good utility knife in all honesty, it feels like its made for stabbing and not much else. So I can't see them really being used or needing sharpening.
I'm certainly a novice when it comes to these, and although I've owned many 'navajas' over the years this is the first os these Corsican variants that I've owned.
So I can't comment on mainland French made versions, but this one certainly claims to have been made by Robert Badani in Bastia on Corsica.

I wish I knew a little more about him as I'd like to date the knife. It has the feel of folders made around 1900 that I've owned which would put it within an era where Vendetta fueds still allegedly regularly took place, making it at the very least an extraordinarily lethal contemporary souvenir of a somewhat macarbre piece of European history.

Which is why I'm suprised more people don't like them? Especially given the interest in plain old Spanish Navajas!

Best
Gene