Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th September 2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Iain

Default A big happy takouba family

Rather than posting the bunch of takouba I've picked up in the last few months as individual threads I thought I'd just throw a group picture out there - a few of these I've shown on the forum before but I like doing big groupings and six or so are new.

As always, the variety in the type amazes me. The big fat one 4th from the top will get it's own thread in a bit - once I sort through my thoughts on it and manage to take a few detail pictures.

Hopefully this is interesting for some.

Best,

Iain
Attached Images

Last edited by ispn; 15th September 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 04:29 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

What an amazing grouping Iain .....thats one really happy family!!!
I think one of the most interesting things on these are the distinctly triangular profiled blades, seemingly reminiscent of those of early medieval European swords.
The bottom one with the curved blade, if I recall in Lee Jones work on takoubas, were termed 'aljuinar'.
Looking forward to more comments.....it would be great to see other takouba examples from out there to get some comparitive examination going, I know you guys out there have at least a few around

Thank you for posting these,
All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

Lightbulb Very nice!

I am pleased that I am not the only one afflicted by the takouba.

The top one (#5 in collections following the link below) elicits the strongest drool response for me!

In case you have missed it so far, wander over to Iain's Takouba Research Society
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Iain

Hi Lee,

Very glad you chimed in. That solingen bladed example you noted was complete luck on my part. Bought it based on some rather poor photos and had no idea about the markings and expected nothing more than a rather typical piece. I had a bit of a shock when I got it in hand!

Unfortunately the current mounts don't do the blade justice (not all that well balanced) but the blade, well that at least is marvelous.

I'm attaching a shot of the blade marking for those who don't want to be bothered visiting my site, although I have to say thank you for linking to it - I've never been quite sure how to introduce it here without looking a bit pompous. By the way, feel free to submit some swords folks. The more the merrier.

Best,

Iain
Attached Images

Old 17th September 2010, 11:26 AM   #5
ariel

Is it my imagination, or do I see remnants of european lettering in the central fuller? D? L?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Iain

Which side of the orb do you think you see it Ariel? I'd looked for anything else before but its entirely possible I missed it...

It's got the corrosion patterns that seem to form a lot of things... But I'd be very happy if there was something more.

I'll take a look at it again tonight when I'm home from the office.

Best,

Iain