Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th December 2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Pusaka

Default The traditional art of keris making

What’s your thoughts on this article in which Pak Mazin's says that the keris he makes are actually made of seven metals literally which I always thought was symbolic rather then literal. Is it possible that “some” keris are actually made from a complex alloy of seven metals?

According to Pak Mazin, making a keris is a very compartmentalised operation, starting with acquiring hardwoods from the jungle for the sarong (casing) and ulu (handles). Kemuning, sena, petai belalang and surian are some of his favourite woods. Then begins the process of carving and polishing them, but probably the most difficult part of the whole process is the making of the bilah (blade). For this, he has to forge seven types of metals over a hot fire in his workshop and to hammer the blade into the required shape.

Pak Mazin lives in the village with some of his 12 children. In recognition of his skills, the government has, recently, helped finance the building of a small showroom next to his house where visitors can view his works or make a purchase.So the next time you visit Kuala Kangsar, make a detour to Padang Changkat to visit the master keris maker

http://sitbatan.blogspot.com/2010/12/art-of-keris.html
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Pusaka

Also:

"Knowledge is the most basic is to be smart and know the type of steel used. Kris is a mixture of iron to make various types of kinds of fresh iron, steel and iron melela.

"For example, an iron nail is fresh, and spring saw the vehicle is steel, while steel melela is a combination of both types of iron may be, for example, windows home iron. Iron was incorporated and merged so compressed, that can be forged to form a kris, "he said.

Based on what we inherited from generation to generation to generation, tips on choosing Iron according to three basic types of these options must also be based on seven basic types of metal begins with the letter 'P', ie nails, umbrella, knife, nipple, fences, knives and forks.

Seven layers of solid iron combined will be forged and made in the book and the type of keris required.

EDIT> Another thing that some might find interesting is the mixture used to bring up the pamor. Usually people use arsenic however it is stated that pak Mazin uses a mixture of yellow sulphur, salt, vinegar and water. The keris is left in this mixture for one week to bring out the pamor.

Translated from
http://kerinchiarts.blogspot.com/201...zin-kuala.html

Last edited by Pusaka; 15th December 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:35 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

When people talk about seven different kinds of metals, they are talking about seven different kinds of ferric material in other words seven different kinds of iron or steel or iron/steel alloy. Sometimes these different kinds of materials are not really different upon analysis, but rather have different sources or have been used for different original purposes.

I first used the Malay method to expose pamor when I was in my teens, more than 50 years ago, I think I found the recipe in Bastin, if not Bastin, it was another book written by an Englishman in Malaya in the 19th century. It called for sulphur, rice water, salt, and for the blade to be covered in this and to be wrapped in a banana leaf for a number of days. I used this method a few times, but then I discovered the arsenic method, and found it to be much more effective
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 12:41 PM   #4
PenangsangII

the problem with forging 7 metal alloy is that the keris as the finnished product without slorok or baja. The metals are forged together and the pattern welding will bring out unidentifiable pamor. Most often this type of keris is not tempered for not wanting to risk breakage of the layers
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 06:55 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Depends on construction.

It is possible to forge just the pamor from 7 different ferric materials --- or 107 if one wishes --- this then becomes pamor sanak, and you can still put in the slorok.

If you just forge the ferric materials together you get a kind of mechanical damascus, and how good it is depends on the materials and the heat treat.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Pusaka

Is anyone here familiar with the name of the 16 types of Iron and the colours/musical notes. Below is an example of what I am talking about.
The translation is not good but if you take the handle off your keris and flick the blade it will produce a sound. In ancient times they put the sounds produced into 16 categories with a sound and colour for each type of iron used.

1 Like the sound of buzzing bees, usually have the prestige of such a dagger curved or wavy, the name of the iron Coral Deer, quiet and patient benefits.
2 Guurrr ... The color green metallic iron. iron Karindu name Aji, the benefits to the authority, get rich quick and good position.
3 Bluish purple color Guunggg BSI, iron Walulin name, the benefits a healthy body, respected people, easy to solve the problem.
4 Duuungg ... clear blue color of the iron metal name Aji Windu, the benefits to safety.
5 Nonggg ... Color greenish yellow iron, iron Walangi name, the benefits are fluent in food and clothing, and good for career pengasihan savings and loans.
6 Preng ... Color bluish-white metal, iron Melelaruyun name, its benefits to kedigjayaan or strength.
7 Nong-Ngong .... Color jet black iron, iron Warani name, its benefits can reach a high degree, rich and always successful in running the government.
8 Color buzzing black metal moss, name Terate iron, the benefits to pengasihan
9 Tuuunggg .... The color of raw white iron, iron Malelagedaga name, patient benefits, and always pitied.
10 ... The color white Trungg raw iron, iron Kanthot name, its benefits for family peace.

http://artikel.idris-nawawi.com/?p=85