Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th March 2005, 04:22 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default please help on this knife

another flea market finding.
the only thing i can observe is a real period repair,as it looks like the blade sheath was split and the solution was hand weld it in the same manner as
the decoration inset in the blade ? could this be the right inferrement ?
any ideas on its provenance ?
thanks
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

This is known as a Flissa a Berber weapon from North Africa.They come in many sizes but not rare like the first piece.Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Conogre

From the look of the crack at the bottom, I'd say that your assesment was probably correct and it was actually done fairly well.
The terms "common" and "rare" can sometimes be misleading, with a flyssa being common to a long-time collector who has seen, handles and owned many, while that same flyssa to a new collector, is indeeed a treasure, and rightly so.
As more and more countries "modernize" the old ways of making pieces are fast vanishing forever, with even its true name lost in as little as one or two generations.
With weapons like a flyssa, if you've only held a small one it's impossible to realize just how remarkable a large, sword-sized piece can be, thinking that the "delicate feel" of the knife must be carried over into a sword, which it most definitely is not.
For whatever it's worth, many "purists" regularly pass over truly rare pieces because they are different, thus not a "real" one.
One thing about ethin bladed weapons is that there are as many different ways to view the pieces and the cultures that produce them as there are weapons themselves.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 07:13 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you for the teachings on Flyssas and collector's enthusiasm. My basic worry at buying this piece was, prior to its identification, to ensure it was a genuine one. This is not so far from Moroco, where they make Jambyas in large quantities for the tourist trade.
In a different position we can see clearly that the blade has "sliced", by the sharp edge area ... the spine continues solid ... reason why it was found reasonable vto repair, ven maybe by the knife maker, at making the piece ... even the weld "patch" was decorated like the rest.
The brass handle shows a certain age patina.
Could i consider this, a 19th century small active Flissa?
Thank you
It has a 9" blade
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 08:35 PM   #5
Conogre

In my opinion, sure....it could be late 19th or early to mid 20th century.....many forget that modernization came much later in some parts of the owrld than others.
Actually, the flyssas ARE from Morocco, but I don't think I can ever recall seeing a "knock-off version" of one, although there are some recently that look like a cross between a khodme and a flyssa that are pretty close.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote