Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd July 2024, 08:57 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Crude Made Dagger; Opinions Please

I recently acquired this crude village-made blacksmith knife and I'm not sure as to what I have. I've been told everything from a Civil War Bowie, to an Indian Trade Knife, a Mountaineer's blade, etc. and I also realize that it could be a modern copy. I like the wear and tear and the traces of the file it was made from.
It comes with a scabbard which fits , but is too short; obviously, the top has broken off and the remaining metal throat seems to fit the sheath and the knife, however, that may not be the case that it belongs with this dagger.
This is probably one I'll never figure out, but a consensus.
It measures 16.25" and 1 & 5/8" at its widest.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2024, 07:41 AM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Difficult to give a style name, Drac, as it was made of various parts. Perhaps best is to simply call it ... a knife .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2024, 01:23 PM   #3
drac2k

Well,no one can contest the accuracy of your observation, lol. That will probably be the best that I will receive. The blade, an (old file), and the guard were both hand forged, and the handle is probably deer stag, so it isn't a composite knife made from other swords,etc.
I think we can assume that it is of North American origin.
Old 23rd July 2024, 05:33 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I'd place it in the wide category of what is known as a Bowie knife.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2024, 05:50 PM   #5
drac2k

Smile

I agree;I just found an example with a very similar blade that I will post when my technical dept. gets home.
Old 23rd July 2024, 11:31 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Looks to me like a very interesting 'frontier' knife of probably mid 19th c. give or take. The 'Bowie' term of course became a collective term for virtually any large frontier knife, it seems regardless of the actual configuration, as Rick has noted.

These followed no distinct pattern, but obviously were simply fashioned pragmatically for the rugged use on the plains, so real way to determine more exact, but certainly seems period, and not reproduction.

As Drac notes, likely and old file blade (very common and actually the 'first' Bowie was reputed from an old file blade) and bone hilt. Very nice !IMO!
Rugged frontier charm.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2024, 02:41 AM   #7
drac2k

Jim, I think you are right on the money. I just contacted a person that I know who owns an antique shop loaded with all manner of militaria; his shop is more like a museum . He is a historian, an author, he does world-class restorations on furniture, paintings, swords, guns, etc..He was happily describing the 6 pounder cannon that he just acquired from Brimfield.
His words were almost the same as yours;he thought that the bowie was of Mexican War Vintage (give or take), and it belonged to a frontierman.He was leaning to it being a little earlier because of both quillons being upturned as opposed to the later "S," style with one being up and the other turned down.