Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th September 2024, 02:48 AM   #1
Azman

Default Keris and other Malay Weapons by Gerald B. Gardner

I’m so happy and felt privileged to get this 1936 first publication book ( reprinted in 2009) by Gerald Gardner on Keris and other Malay Weapons. This a rare piece and I’m loving it. This book was written during the Malaya occupation by British colonial almost 21 years before Malaysian independence in 1957. I can’t wait to get into it and share with this community. My late dad was born in 1937 and this book was published before his time. My late dad used to share with me his experience during the Japanese occupation of Malaya during WWII. He was 8 years old then. I digress..
Attached Images

Azman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2024, 02:10 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but this is not a particular rare book (as you noted, it was reprinted in 2009 and it has been reprinted again in 2021). It is readily available on Amazon. I have had this book in my library for years, as i am sure many other collectors have. It does have some historic value and some valid information in it. Gardner was one of the first Westerners to write extensively about the keris. But much of his studies are flawed and the book has quite a few inaccurates and/or misunderstood information. Read it, enjoy it, but take it in with at least a small grain of salt.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2024, 05:59 PM   #3
Sajen

Agree in apoints with David! Hope you don't pay too much for the book!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2024, 10:39 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

My Gardner is a 1973 reprint.

It has been popular for a long time.

Personally, I reckon its worth a read, there little interesting snippets in it like:-

"--- the lawi ayam is small hooked knife for ripping the bowels --- it is a very horrible weapon---"

&

"--- a tiny variety of this weapon is carried by a lot of Javanese women, often in their hair --- they yield to a man then rip his genitals---"

flowers of the Orient those Jawa girls.

Then there is the way British sailors dealt with attack by keris:- whip out the old belaying pin and whack the keris-man with it --- or break the blade.

Personally, I find the "break the blade" bit rather imaginative, keris are usually only hardened for the first few inches, if subjected to force they are far more likely to bend than to break. But still, way back then, a lot of people seemed to trust the belaying pin --- or maybe the walking stick, there was a whole method of defence built upon the walking stick.

From my perspective the biggest flaw in Gardner is that as a Colonial he was getting fed the usual thing that Colonials get fed by indigenous peoples, you know the stuff, its good for your veges, but pretty unpalatable eaten fresh.

This intentional misinformation continues today in Jawa & Bali, & probably in other places where tourists go, if you're not an insider you get told what your informant thinks you want to hear, the important thing is not truth, it is to please the bloke with the money.

Yeah, sure there are flaws in Gardner but we tend to forget just how recently the veil was lifted from the keris. I published "Origin Of the Keris and its Development to the 14th. Century" in 1998, at the time, & even for some time after that there was still debate about just exactly where the keris originally came from.

Even Harsrinuksmo got it wrong in "Ensiklopedi Budaya Nasional" published 1988 --- or maybe it was his principle informant, Lumintu. They thought it was Buddhist, & that representations could be found on Borobudur.

Back before WWII there were knock-down-dragouts going on between serious scholars of the keris. In retrospect much of it was stupidity voiced by people who had not even visited SE Asia, but at the time it passed for learned debate. I think Hill was published in 1956, and he was a long way from the mark too.

Gardner is OK, as David remarks "historic value" but I find that perspective interesting.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2024, 07:38 AM   #5
Pendita65

Mr. Maisey,

very interesting to read your view on this thread, and i am very interested to read the article you wrote about "Origin Of the Keris and its Development to the 14th. Century" Is this somewhere online to read? As i guess the publication is not to obtain somewhere.

Best wishes, Martin
Pendita65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2024, 08:19 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Here is a link:-

http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/maisey/index.html

It needs a re-write, there are a few things where my knowledge has advanced a bit since it was published. I'll do a revised version one day if i get some time.

However, the central theme is still good.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote