View Single Post
Old 29th September 2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Iliad

Default Indo Persian Axe

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your input, I am always looking for new information, with the hope of increasing my small store of knowledge.
As regards the assertion that this axe is a "Parade" axe, I do not doubt you at all, but am interested to know your reasons for saying so. If you give me details of your reasoning then I shall be more informed.
Is your opinion based on: width? length? shape? decoration? weight?
Please be specific. If your opinion is simply a "gut feeling" then please say so.
The photos clearly show damage to the edges of the axe, which can have been caused only by the axe hitting a hard object, presumably not from chopping firewood. If the axe is a Parade axe, not used in battle, then how would the damage have occurred?
If soldiers are parading before royalty, then surely each soldier would be equipped with battle weapons anyway, so why would the soldiers put aside their battle weapons and take up Parade weapons?
If the royal personage is accompanied by bodyguards, then they would use battle weapons not the lesser Parade variety. If royalty is in a procession down the main street of a city, perhaps on the occasion of a royal birthday, then who, other than the bodyguard would be carrying a battle axe anyway?
Daggers yes, but an axe would be overkill surely? And would draw considerable attention.
I shall attempt to attach a photo of a photo from Tirri's book "Islamic Weapons". My axe has some similarities with the one in the photo.
My thanks in anticipation of several scholarly replies.
Best,
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote