View Single Post
Old 1st October 2013, 11:43 PM   #6
kai

Hello Charles, congrats!

Quote:
I believe the wooden pommel example to be late 19th century and the ivory pommel example to be early 20th century.

The wooden pommel example strikes me as a Sulu piece. The pommel is magnificent, big, bulky and well carved. The scabbard has seen some restoration to broken wood, but is magnificently carved with a lovely carved in and pierced chape.
This looks Tausug to me. I'd place it slightly later - about turn of the century.

Quote:
The other example is an eye catcher, but more troublesome in terms of identifying its origin. It looks to be a Sulu style barong in a Samal or Tausug style scabbard(that has clearly been made for this blade). I believe this to be an early 20th century piece. Notice the ivory carving is good and impressive, but not quite as crisp and detailed as one might expect on a similar 19th century example. The ferrule may be all low grade gold, but the upper bands are gold plated. The scabbard's attached "accoutrements" are interesting.
Hilt and probably blade appear to be Tausug; quite possibly a bit older: hilt maybe turn of the century (or even slightly older). There are some minor losses to the ivory which affect the flow of lines; I would certainly be happy enough with the workmanship if it were mine...

The scabbard looks indeed Samal to me - very nice to have it complete with all those textiles!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote