View Single Post
Old 30th September 2013, 01:42 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello everyone, Thank you all for your kind words and most helpful information on this spear.

Steve, Yes I very much enjoy it when I find one of these old warriors and then try to do my best to bring it back from being neglected and mistreated to as much of its original glory as I can.

Detlef, Thank you for posting the photo's of you very nice examples. My spear just like yours does have a pin that helps to hold the blade in place. It is hidden under the rattan bands and can only be seen when they are moved. The blade is no where near as light colored and shiny as it appears in the photos, it is actually quite a bit darker. As usual when I wanted to take these pictures it was raining here so I had to take them inside and the flash is what makes everything look lighter in color.

Jose, Thank you for the information on this spear and again for all the other times you have responded to my questions.

Nonoy, Thank you for pin-pointing where this spear originated from and for the local names for it. I noticed that the blade on my example seems to have longer cutting edges than most other examples that I have seen. Does this have any meaning, is it an indicator of where it was made, was this something that was decided on by tribal ranking, availability of metal or just on the whim of who ever originally made it?

Again, thank you all for your help.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote