View Single Post
Old 9th May 2006, 11:15 PM   #11
Andrew

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doecon
As far as I know there is no modern version around (here), so it couldnt have been put in acid for 20 years.
I disagree. This defies logic. Because you are unaware of any modern version certainly does not mean one (or many) do not exist.

Quote:
I think there is enough pictures already to show that its indeed an old piece.
In my opinion, pictures alone are insufficient to use in determining the age of any artifact.

Quote:
(No need also to put something in acid for 20 years if nobody knows what it is right?)
I'm not sure what you mean, doecon. Is this an otherwise unknown form? In any event, I think Battara was suggesting that even an innocent exposure to an acidic environment could make an iron item look quite old.

Quote:
But if you know a modern version then please share it with us, I'm seriously intrested. In case you know examples that have been around for century's, then please indicate where (with link if posible).

Personally, my skepticism arises from the extreme rarity of 1000 year old weapons, rather than the existence (or non-existence) of contemporary examples. Further, we have all seen and handled objects in similar condition which have been artificially aged.

You've definitely given me some support for your position that the form is ancient but, I'm afraid that, without some solid provenance, I will continue to be a skeptic as to the age of this particular item.

Last edited by Andrew; 9th May 2006 at 11:26 PM.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote