Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A Fifteenth Century Barbute (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7262)

Ed 10th October 2008 01:58 PM

A Fifteenth Century Barbute

2 Attachment(s)
This is probably my favorite piece. It is Italian, Venetian?, of a classic form and dates from 1450 or thereabouts. At one time it had a holder for decoration on the top and, originally, it was covered with velvet or some other fabric. There are lots of examples of this sort of helmet and a couple with the original coverings.

This example might have been reworked during it's active life around the face opening.

The word "Barbute" means "Beard" or "Bearded" and refers to the opening which would allow the wearer's beard to be exposed. The style is sort of a throwback to the Greek and some helmets of this time and place are reasonable replications of ancient Corinthian helmets. This one has the same general shape but does not have the nasal which is characteristic of that type of helmet.

What amazes me is the skill which the armorer used to shpe a billet of steel so perfectly. The shape and lines are pleasing far beyond what would be called for for mere function, this is what makes it a work of art.

fernando 10th October 2008 02:36 PM

Fascinating piece.
Barbute from the French bearded.
I see that in Portuguese such style was called as translated, Barbudo.
Amazingly i was going to ask if the holes were for holding interior padding, before i re-read your text, mentioning the exterior cover. Holly ignorance :o .
When i grow up, i want one :D
Fernando

Ed 10th October 2008 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There was an interior webbing to cushion and support the head. Some of the holes were for that.

The example below shows the sort of things that were affixed to a helmet like mine.

The illustration is from Edge's book "Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight", p. 121.

Ed 10th October 2008 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an accurate mapping of the holes on my helmet.

DeCosson said words to the effect that to understand a piece, examine it closely and understand the purpose of every hole. Good advice.

fernando 10th October 2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed
...Here is an accurate mapping of the holes on my helmet ...

Good hole/iness :confused:

Jim McDougall 11th October 2008 12:12 AM

Outstanding piece Ed!!! I can see why it is a favorite. I was thinking along the same lines as Fernando on the holes, and the illustrations are perfect in explaining.

On these heavy armour helmets, from the ancient Corinthian to the helms of the middle ages, a question came up some time ago concerning the wearing of these in heated environment. Further, the wearing of armour as well as these enclosed helmets.......what sort of issues might develop with heat?
It seems that not only sun beating on armour, but the intense body heat projected in extreme exertion might weigh heavily on the performance of the wearer.

I haven't yet found my notes, but it seems there were instances of heat prostration etc. during battles.

* it is truly amazing the mastery of the maker working this piece out of a single billet!

All best regards,
Jim