Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is this anything? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2352)

rover 8th May 2006 02:05 PM

Is this anything?

6 Attachment(s)
Hi, Just found this forum.
I have an item i'd like to show here.
Perhaps someone could guide me regarding what it is.
This tool/weapon is said to origin from Borneo/Guinea.
Supposedly collected by a swedish anthropologist in about the 1950's.
It's structure is all wood in one piece. It's strengthened with rope.
One edge has a sharp black stone rigidly fastened to it.
Paired with this item was a bone dagger claimed to be made fron human bone. Unfortunately that dagger was not taken care of properly, it dried and broke.
Do you think this one have some value to a collector or should i just keep it for it's own beauty?

VANDOO 8th May 2006 07:28 PM

IT LOOKS LIKE A ADZ, A WOOD WORKING TOOL FROM NEW GUINEA, THEY ALSO USE BONE DAGGERS THERE. I SUSPECT THAT IS WHERE IT COMES FROM RATHER THAN BORNEO. BORNEO PROBABLY USED SIMULAR ADZ LONG AGO BUT DIDN'T USE BONE DAGGERS AS FAR AS I KNOW. THE BONE DAGGER MAY BE WORTH SAVING SO I WOULD KEEP IT RATHER THAN THROW IT AWAY.THEY STILL MAKE BOTH ITEMS IN NEW GUINEA TODAY BUT PROBABLY TRADE FOR METAL TOOLS FOR ACTUAL USE. THERE ARE SOME NEAT DECORATIVE ONES MADE IN MT. HAGEN THAT ARE CEREMONIAL IN USE AND NICE FOR COLLECTING.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM WE HAVE A LOT OF FUN AND LEARN A LOT HERE. :D

fearn 8th May 2006 10:40 PM

I agree with Vandoo. The use of rattan points to New Guinea as the origin, as does the T-shaped profile. This would contrast with uniform coconut cord binding and an L-shaped profile for a Polynesian, Micronesian, or small-island Melanesian implement. The shape of the blade (polished and lenticular) also seems more New Guinean to me, although admittedly I'm not terribly expert on all the variations. It's definitely not Bornean, nor is it Polynesian, and it looks Papuan to me. Age is hard to tell from the pics.

It's hard to tell whether it was made for the tourist trade or not, but it's worth saving, as is the bone dagger.

Neat pieces!

F

Ian 9th May 2006 01:57 AM

Nice New Guinea axe/adze

Possibly from Mt Hagan. They use dark green stone blades and the handle resembles other Hagan axes.

Ian.

rover 9th May 2006 03:13 PM

Wow, i really got what i asked for from you guys.
With that info and the keyword "adze" i was able to search for more info on the net.
It seems that this type is a working tool, since the ceremonial adze should be colored and decorated, and the bridal adze has longer stoneblade.
Given this info i believe it's claimed origin and dating proofs true. I will probably try to place it with someone who appreciate having it in his collection.

The bone dagger is unfortunately gone because of it's bad condition.
It was a scary item to hold, it felt very magic and soulful.
Again thanks a lot