Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2 Baladah Belabangs (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22487)

CharlesS 25th March 2017 07:43 PM

2 Baladah Belabangs

7 Attachment(s)
I have a couple of recently purchased beladah belabangs to share with the group, and both are quite different in size and style. The smaller one is 24in. overall, with a heavy thick 18in. blade. The fittings are lovely as is the patina throughout. It's quite a simple example, but I love it...perfect for a little guy like me!

The other is older, I believe, and more of a "monster" at 32in. overall, with a thick and heavy 27in. blade of somewhat rarer form.

Enjoy! Comments are welcome.

mariusgmioc 25th March 2017 07:51 PM

One word: envy! ;)

I don't know anything about this type of swords, but I believe yours are exceptional. At least the bigger one has an absolutely fantastic blade!

Thank you for sharing! :)

Ian 25th March 2017 09:23 PM

Two fine examples Charles. I particularly like the silver fittings on the smaller one and its scabbard. Is that a "magic square" at forte on that one?

Ian.

drac2k 25th March 2017 09:42 PM

How do you continually come up with such great stuff; are the streets of Greenville paved with fantastic swords ?

Battara 25th March 2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drac2k
How do you continually come up with such great stuff; are the streets of Greenville paved with fantastic swords ?

Charles trips over them every morning. Hard to get out of the subdivision...... :D

Oliver Pinchot 25th March 2017 11:19 PM

Absolutely. Nothing at all to do with intellect, years of study, an innate aesthetic and plain old hard work on Charles' part

kronckew 26th March 2017 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i love mine.

68.5 cm. (27in.) blade, 88 cm. (34.6in.) overall.

kai 26th March 2017 12:02 PM

Hello Charles,

I'm fairly sure the small one is older - I don't think it's younger than middle of the 19th century...

Did you tried a gentle etch? I'd be very surprised if it doesn't show laminations!

Please let me know if you ever get bored with it! ;)

Regards,
Kai

Gavin Nugent 26th March 2017 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
I'm fairly sure the small one is older - I don't think it's younger than middle of the 19th century...

I agree Kai.

There are numerous thoughts about the inspiration for these swords, personally I lean to the 18th century Ottoman Pala.

Below is one of mine, I lean towards the first half of the 19th century...its small but an absolute brute in the hand.

Gavin