Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Indian Tegha (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20600)

Miguel 16th October 2015 11:23 AM

Indian Tegha

12 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,
I have had this item for some time but have never really known what its real use. It certainly could be used as a weapon if the user was strong enough to wield it but I doubt that this was its use because of the decoration on the blade comprising of what appear to be Hindu Deities, script, foliage and a tableau on either side of the blade showing three raised figures in brass. The hilt is of cast copper and I wonder if this is the original or a replacement for a previous iron hilt. My inclination is to think that the item was for ceremonial or religious use. The overall length of the item is 36 ins with a bade length of 29 ins and width of 3.25 ins. Your comments would be appreciated, thank you.
Miguel

ALEX 19th October 2015 11:50 AM

Miguel,
I also think it is a ceremonial sword, and the original iron hilt was replaced.
HERE is similarly decorated blade on straight Khanda sword from the time when I thought I found something special :) It is also quite bulky, and is late 19th to early 20th Century.
Also, HERE is similar on OA site.

ariel 19th October 2015 12:27 PM

According to Oliver Pinchot in his text to the book of Wagner's Collection, such monsters were manufactured for the Delhi Durbar , although there are much earlier examples. They were and still are ( on E-Bay) presented as beheading swords.

Very impressive and scary concept , ideally suited for ceremonial purposes as well as tourist souvenirs .

But generally, tegha is just a sword ( tigh). For some reasons this word in the European literature was reserved for tulwars with wider than usual blades.

estcrh 19th October 2015 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
According to Oliver Pinchot in his text to the book of Wagner's Collection, such monsters were manufactured for the Delhi Durbar , although there are much earlier examples. They were and still are ( on E-Bay) presented as beheading swords.

Maybe this picture had something to do with people thinking these huge swords were executioners sword.

Miguel 19th October 2015 07:30 PM

Thanks Alex for your comments and links most informative. I had also thought that it may be a late 19thC tourist piece but if it is, its a good one. Alex how do you add the links to your replies, I would like to be able to do it as it is a great help to the discussion.
Regards
Miguel

Miguel 19th October 2015 07:39 PM

Thanks Ariel and Estcrh for your interesting comments, I particularly find the concept of being made for the Delhi Durbar an avenue for further investigation. Thanks again to you both.
Miguel

ALEX 19th October 2015 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree, not a typical "tourist piece" in a sense. good steel, decent quality and chiseling.
To add the link, use a Link tool in the message menu bar. The first prompt is text to show as a link, the second prompt is actual web addess (url).
Thank you for posting interesting items, Miguel! Nice to see them all.

Miguel 20th October 2015 06:42 PM

Thanks Alex for the link info I am much obliged and look forward to further discussions.
Miguel