Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beautiful sword from Philippines (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12686)

carlos 11th October 2010 12:41 PM

Beautiful sword from Philippines

6 Attachment(s)
Several months ago I saw this sword in Ebay, and I saved the pictures to my hard disk. Now I have remember this and I´m going to show pictures to the forum, I hope you enjoy it!!
This pommel is marvellous!!! :) :eek:
Best regards
Carlos

carlos 12th October 2010 03:29 PM

114 visits and no comments? :( :( :(
Best regards
carlos

VANDOO 12th October 2010 04:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
INDEED IT IS A TOP QUALITY SWORD. :) THE CARVED HORN HANDLE IS FIRST RATE AND VERY WELL CARVED AND THE ENTIRE SWORD IS OF VERY GOOD WORKMANSHIP. I HAVE SEEN A FEW OF THIS QUALITY SOME OF WHICH HAD PATTERNS INLAYED INTO THE BLADES AS WELL. MOST I HAVE SEEN WOULD FALL INTO WHAT IS CALLED BOLO AND THEY USUALLY HAVE VERY WELL WORKED LEATHER SCABBARDS WITH DESIGNS ON THEM. I THINK THEY COME FROM LUZON AND THEY ARE NOT A COMMON FIND IN THIS QUALITY. SOMEONE GOT LUCKY :cool: THIS IS MY EXAMPLE SORRY FOR THE POOR QUALITY PICTURES BUT THEY WERE TAKEN LONG AGO WITH A POOR CAMERA AND CAMERA MAN :rolleyes:

VANDOO 12th October 2010 05:12 PM

10 Attachment(s)
WHILE I AM AT IT I WILL INCLUDE A FEW MORE PICTURES UNFORTUNATELY NOT MINE BUT VERY GOOD EXAMPLES. I HAVE SEEN THIS QUALITY WORK ON ONE TALIBION WITH A HORN HANDLE BUT MOST HAVE BEEN BOLO'S

Battara 12th October 2010 11:16 PM

I agree with Vandoo that this is from the island of Luzon.

I would hesitantly say that this may possibly Pampangan, but not as sure. What points me at present to this conclusion is the tip - notice how it is clipped at an angle. Many Pampangan bolos from the time period have this same clipped point.

Also it belonged to someone who was wealthy and/or of status. Can't say for sure if Katipunan or not.

By the way Barry, I love the light horn, silvered, fisted bolo. Also Pampangan and I think Katipunan due to the fist and how it is carved.

migueldiaz 13th October 2010 05:15 AM

Wow! they are very nice :)

Thanks for all the pics.

VANDOO 23rd October 2010 02:38 AM

11 Attachment(s)
I MENTIONED A GOOD FANCY TALIBON/GARAB WITH A CARVED HORN HANDLE OF THE QUALITY OF THE BOLOS TO CHARLES AT THE SHOW IN LOUIVILLE. SO HERE ARE PICTURES OF IT AS WELL AS ANOTHER NICE HORN HANDLED BOLO. THERE ARE TWO PICTURES OF THE INLAYED DESIGNS IN THE TALIBON BLADE. SORRY FOR PICTURE QUALITY.
THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A VERY ADVANCED SHOP DOING THIS WORK AS THE QUALITY IS SO GOOD. THEY WERE EXPERT AT CARVING HORN AND WOOD AS WELL AS WORKING WITH SILVER AND GOLD AND DOING EXCELLENT INLAY WORK AND LEATHER WORK ON SCABBARDS. THERE MUST BE SOME RECORD OF WHO AND WHERE THEY WERE LOCATED AS THEY ARE LIKE THE TOLEDO WORKS OF THE PHILIPPINES. :confused:

migueldiaz 23rd October 2010 03:32 AM

thanks, vandoo!

about the fist pommel, in this thread i mentioned that:
"At Museo del Ejercito in Toledo, Spain, there's a Katipunan banner with this image -- two arms shown just from the elbow to the hands; one is holding a blade, and the other is holding by the hair a severed head of what looks a Caucasian (full beard, etc.); the two hands were depicted as a closed fist, especially the one holding the decapitated head by its hair. Thus perhaps (but am just speculating), the closed fist pommel design is related to this Katipunan imagery."
now one of the pics shows human(?) hair being grasped by the fist. if the hair was part of the original sword, then it all adds up.

the deeper significance is that in the philippines' precolonial days, human hair is sometimes used to decorate a sword (kampilan), shield, etc.

and we all know that the 19th century revolutionary katipunan army was also a movement to go back and remember the precolonial ways of filipinos.

it would surely be great to see more examples of the katipunan fist pommel with human hair in its grasp.

David 23rd October 2010 03:44 AM

Looks a bit thick and coarse for human hair. Probably horse or goat. :shrug:

Robert 23rd October 2010 05:22 AM

I haven't posted in a while but after seeing all of these beautiful pieces it is hard not too. While all of these are absolutely stunning the one with the light colored carabao horn hilt is indescribable. I have found that trying to type while wiping the drool off of the keyboard is quite difficult. Thank you all for sharing these magnificent pieces.

Robert

migueldiaz 23rd October 2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Looks a bit thick and coarse for human hair. Probably horse or goat. :shrug:

thanks, david. yes upon closer examination, it does look more like it. the symbolism perhaps remains just the same. regards.

migueldiaz 23rd October 2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
I haven't posted in a while but after seeing all of these beautiful pieces it is hard not too. While all of these are absolutely stunning the one with the light colored carabao horn hilt is indescribable. I have found that trying to type while wiping the drool off of the keyboard is quite difficult. Thank you all for sharing these magnificent pieces. - Robert

hello, robert. the light brown horn hilt is surely nice. coming from the rare albino carabao, such material is truly precious. regards.

VANDOO 26th October 2010 03:31 AM

IN THE LAST TWO BOLOS PICTURED THERE APPEARS TO BE A LETTER C ON THE BLADES PERHAPS THIS WAS THE MAKERS MARK? SURELY A RECORD OF THIS COMAPNY EXHISTS SOMEWHERE AS ONLY THE WEALTHY OR IMPORTANT PEOPLE WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HAVE ONE MADE.