Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Balinese Keris for comments (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27523)

Athanase 18th December 2021 06:26 PM

Balinese Keris for comments

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

From the same seller than the Tuban Kebo Lager Keris in balinese dress and pendok.

The blade is old ( but how much ? ) with Marak dapur but the dress is very rough in light wood painted to imitate timoho wood.
I think the wrongko dates from the 50s-60s.
The handle has been glued, that's why I haven't yet been able to change the Javanese mendak for one from bali.

David 18th December 2021 06:51 PM

Another interesting blade with some age. Though the greneng seem Balinese the other ricikan seem unusual to me, so perhaps this blade, like your other Bali dressed blade, has a different origin.
Different pakem are known to have subtle differences, but according this diagram i don't think this is Dhapur Marak. There is no odo-odo for one thing and Marak seems to have a single sogokan, which your blade does not. Also, if this is a Balinese blade i am not sure Javanese dhapur apply.
I am curious to see how others classify this keris.

Athanase 18th December 2021 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Indeed I do not think that the Javanese classification can apply but I have no document on the Balinese Dapur.

I forgot to take into account the ada ada on the other hand my blade has no Sogokan as in the representation below.
I looked too fast. :(

David 18th December 2021 07:41 PM

I could be wrong, but i believe that mendak is an old East Jawa/Madura one. Could be a clue to the blade origin given the deep inward slant of the gandik. But again, others will probably have a better idea on this.
What is the length of this blade?

Athanase 18th December 2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 268373)
I could be wrong, but i believe that mendak is an old East Jawa/Madura one. Could be a clue to the blade origin given the deep inward slant of the gandik. But again, others will probably have a better idea on this.
What is the length of this blade?

Yes the mendak is from East Jawa/Madura, by chance is not glued.

Blade length : 41,5cm

A. G. Maisey 18th December 2021 08:38 PM

I'd be inclined to accept this blade as Bali, or Lombok, I don't think I could fit it into Jawa classification. It is not any sort of major work, just a simple "every man's" blade. We don't really expect major identifying indicators in low level work.

Mendak is Madura/East Jawa.

The hilt should come off pretty easy with a bit of heat & patience, this process has been covered several times here in the past.

It would probably restore reasonably well.