Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Three Boa's (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30076)

Marc M. 30th July 2024 03:45 PM

Three Boa's

3 Attachment(s)
Three plain Boa short swords. According to the site africanarms.com, the narrow swords were used for plantation work. The wide one has a slightly different blade than usual. comments welcome.
Regards
Marc

Sajen 30th July 2024 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Marc,

Nice Boa blades! I've handled some Boa blades and I was always amazed about them, one I've shown at this place.
Recently I came across two copper bladed Boa knives, never have seen one before.
Do you plan to clean the blades a little bit more?

kronckew 30th July 2024 05:18 PM

Cool, do you have a link for the narrow boa reference, the mentioned site is rather hard to navigate?

Marc M. 30th July 2024 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 292352)
Hi Marc,

Nice Boa blades! I've handled some Boa blades and I was always amazed about them, one I've shown at this place.
Recently I came across two copper bladed Boa knives, never have seen one before.

Hi Detlef
Nice Boa sword you have, with a blade shape that is less common. I stripped the blades of the red rust spots and put on a layer of metal wax. I'm not a big fan of over cleaned blades, but that's personal.

Regards
Marc

Marc M. 30th July 2024 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew (Post 292357)
Cool, do you have a link for the narrow boa reference, the mentioned site is rather hard to navigate?

Hi Kronckew

I am hopeless at such things as attaching a link. The site is user friendly for me so that says something. The start page is a takouba , left click, click on swords/knives and on page 11 you will find the Boa.
Regards
Marc

Marc M. 2nd August 2024 02:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen (Post 292352)
Hi Marc,

Hi Detlef

Here is my latest Boa Similar to your sword. It is a blade shape that is less common, but found one for not too much money. Condition according to the seller was in excellent condition with no rust and a nice patina on the blade.Upon receipt it turned out to be a varnished rusty blade. After a few hours of elbow grease it looks a little better. Oal 75cm.
Regards
Marc

Sajen 2nd August 2024 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc M. (Post 292405)
Hi Detlef

Here is my latest Boa Similar to your sword. It is a blade shape that is less common, but found one for not too much money. Condition according to the seller was in excellent condition with no rust and a nice patina on the blade.Upon receipt it turned out to be a varnished rusty blade. After a few hours of elbow grease it looks a little better. Oal 75cm.
Regards
Marc

Hi Marc,
Very nice one and indeed the same shape as the one I had once! Good cleaning job! :cool:

Regards,
Detlef

Araņa_del_Sol 2nd August 2024 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc M. (Post 292405)
Hi Detlef

Regards
Marc

Very nice work! If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to clean the blade?

-ADS

Marc M. 3rd August 2024 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Araņa_del_Sol (Post 292413)
Very nice work! If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to clean the blade?

-ADS

Hi ADS
Since there was a layer of varnish on it I started with a paint stripper, took off the dissolved varnish layer with a 3M sanding sponge, then sanded away the fairly hard layer of rust with sandpaper from coarse to fine. Went into the grooves with a brass brush without much result then with a steel brush in a pillar drill brushed most everything away.
Cleaned away the sanding lines with 3M and steel wool and a layer of metal wax on the blade.
Regards
Marc