Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unusual Bronze / Brass Dagger (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28464)

stilgar 27th December 2022 05:41 PM

Unusual Bronze / Brass Dagger

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Looking for some help ID'ing this dagger as I haven;t been able to find a similar example anywhere.

Appears to be made of brass and it is 7.5" long.

Thanks!

Calum

Attachment 222159
Attachment 222160

toaster5sqn 28th December 2022 07:42 AM

Is the blade a separate piece riveted to the handle or is it cast as one piece?
The fact that it looks like a one piece casting with fake rivets makes me suspect a modern fantasy piece. Or possibly someone's home casting of a dagger with a separate riveted steel blade.
The pommel reminds me of Celtic 'antenna' swords but its more an inspired by look rather than a close match.

Robert

Richard G 28th December 2022 12:59 PM

Reminds me of one of them 'Luristan' daggers.
Best wishes
Richard

kai 28th December 2022 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster5sqn (Post 277455)
The fact that it looks like a one piece casting with fake rivets makes me suspect a modern fantasy piece. Or possibly someone's home casting of a dagger with a separate riveted steel blade.
The pommel reminds me of Celtic 'antenna' swords but its more an inspired by look rather than a close match.

I'm with Robert - probably modern and possibly antenna-inspired... :shrug: :o

stilgar 29th December 2022 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster5sqn (Post 277455)
Is the blade a separate piece riveted to the handle or is it cast as one piece?

Robert

Yeah it seems like it was cast in one piece but made to look like the blade is rivetted to the handle so I think it must be a replica or fantasy piece.

Thanks all for the help!

robinpeck 2nd September 2024 12:09 AM

I have one

1 Attachment(s)
I have one with a "Happy Birthday" inscription in German, dated 1944 in Antwerp. My guess is that it is a souvenir "letter opener" in the form of a miniature bronze-age Celtic sword.

milandro 2nd September 2024 07:06 AM

so this is an object made in Antwerp ( Antwerpen is Antwerp in Dutch-Flemish) 16 April 1944 or celebrating an event which happened there.

milandro 8th September 2024 07:45 AM

there is one, an almost Identical one, which is for sale now on a Dutch second hand site (cannot post the pics per forum rules)

This demonstrates these Items are modern and frequent replicas found in Belgium and the Netherlands