Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Royal Soussan Pata - translation please (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4364)

Battara 3rd April 2007 01:52 AM

Royal Soussan Pata - translation please

4 Attachment(s)
Hello again folks. This time I have a South Indian soussan pata with gold koftgari that I got from our good friend Rsword (Jaya!). Some of the pictures have been sent to Rick for resizing :o , some are here. One of them has what I think is a Bismallah (name of God) on it, though I could be off. On the other side there is an umbrella (a mark that signifies it comes from a royal armoury) and more inscription. The blade is made of laminated steel, but it is not evident until you look up close in spots. It was polished by our other good friend Phillip. What do the inscriptions mean? Other comments welcomed.

Jose ;)

PS - back to the beans and rice. :o

Battara 6th April 2007 04:40 PM

Wow - no comments or folks that can translate the Arabic? :confused:

katana 6th April 2007 06:42 PM

Hi Battara,
it's a beauty...... ;)

Jens Nordlunde 6th April 2007 09:15 PM

Hi Battara,

It is indeed very nice:), congratulations. How about some measurers, and maybe a better picture of the hilt and the upper part of the blade? I am sorry that I can’t help you with the translation, but I am sure someone else can.

Battara 6th April 2007 09:38 PM

Thank you both. I will see what I can do about getting better pictures (I apologize for these aweful pics :o ).

Hope our Arab friends on the forum can help in the translation. :)

Lew 6th April 2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Thank you both. I will see what I can do about getting better pictures (I apologize for these aweful pics :o ).

Hope our Arab friends on the forum can help in the translation. :)

Hey Battara it says made in the China :D ;) Just Fooling! That is one sweet sword.

Lew

ham 6th April 2007 10:19 PM

Nice example.
The inscriptions read:

Work of Muhammad Shah

O Muhammad!

Allah, O Muhammad, O Ali!

Ham

Battara 7th April 2007 08:36 PM

Thank you so much Ham.

When I get back home I'll get those measurements for you Jens.

Pictures will have to come later.

Battara 14th April 2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ham
Nice example.
The inscriptions read:

Work of Muhammad Shah

O Muhammad!

Allah, O Muhammad, O Ali!

Ham

I was just wondering, if this is calling out to Ali as well, could this have belonged to a Shi'ite raja. There were some Shi'ite groups in India.

Battara 28th June 2007 01:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well (a deep subject! :D ) here are the pictures I promised, finally. I made the tassel ring out of brass and oxidized it.

Enjoy :D

Bill M 28th June 2007 02:01 AM

GREAT puppy!!! Very nice.

Andrew 28th June 2007 02:56 AM

Definitely worth some days of rice and beans, Jose! Nice brass work. What did you use to cut it out?

Battara 1st July 2007 07:45 PM

Thank you......I used a titanium coated drill bit and then my jeweler's saw, followed up by a little use of chasing tools for minimal detail and some polishing. I used the original pin.

Before all this I had to find some really thick brass scrap and forge it to the right thickness and width. I did all this in my spare time inbetween jobs.