Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Interesting SEA knife for ID 'Parang Bengkok' (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13919)

Atlantia 11th June 2011 08:01 PM

Interesting SEA knife for ID 'Parang Bengkok'

3 Attachment(s)
Think it's Sumartran again.
Lovely quality and condition though. Original collectors notes called it a 'Parang Bengkok'
Any thoughts?

Maurice 11th June 2011 10:59 PM

Hi Gene,

I like these kind of handles, but they are also made still today, and not only for tourists.
They're made today with very good and sharp blades also....

I don't think this one is an antique one, but my silat friends love these kind of pieces....

Rick 11th June 2011 11:13 PM

There was a company some 10 years ago that was making a lot of contemporary Indo edged weapons with this and other anthropomorphic style handles; some pamor blades also .
I believe they were called Valiant .

Try a google image search; valiant parang .

Maurice 11th June 2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
There was a company some 10 years ago that was making a lot of contemporary Indo edged weapons with this and other anthropomorphic style handles; some pamor blades also .
I believe they were called Valiant .

Try a google image search; valiant parang .

Yes, Suwandi from Valiant indeed. I know him.
Good sharp fighting blades. The same swords with pamor where a bit more expensive as the plain iron ones. :)

Very nice guy BTW!

Rick 11th June 2011 11:24 PM

Very nice work too !

Maurice 11th June 2011 11:28 PM

I've had several of Suwandi's swords hidden through the whole house before I was collecting antiques, ready for use when burglars would enter my house...

Now I have mandaus to chop their heads... ;-)

Amuk Murugul 11th June 2011 11:28 PM

Hullo again everybody!

Gene, what you have there is a type of sickle I would refer to as a more common form of Koedjang Bikang Lolong or simply as Arit ( I believe the Oerang Kanekes would refer to it simply as a koedjang). It also looks recent, no older than around 1950s. The handle is what is now commonly known by the Soenda as Perah Sirah Tjepot.

Best,

Atlantia 12th June 2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
Hullo again everybody!

Gene, what you have there is a type of sickle I would refer to as a more common form of Koedjang Bikang Lolong or simply as Arit ( I believe the Oerang Kanekes would refer to it simply as a koedjang). It also looks recent, no older than around 1950s. The handle is what is now commonly known by the Soenda as Perah Sirah Tjepot.

Best,

HI Amuk,
Excellent, always nice to know an items name, thank you.
May I ask what purpose they serve?
Your dating is actually good news, as it fits with what I was told when I bought these pieces. The later ones were indicated as having been collected circa 1950.
The only evidence I have for this is a dated Golok (one of about ten goloks and knives all of very similar style and obvious age in the collection, but the only one that I bought)....
I'll start a thread for it, as I need a translation ;)
Thanks again
Gene

DaveA 13th June 2011 05:21 AM

For comparison, my "Kujang Bikang"

3 Attachment(s)
Fascinating blade shape on these. I understand that kujangs were carried by pawang (medicine man) and thought to have magical powers. For your consideration, here is my kujang bikang for comparison. The blade measures 7 1/2" and 1/4" thick hand-forged spring steel. It is fully etched or engraved on both sides. It also has a 5" sharpened false-edge, fileworks; sharpened and hardened. The handle is 2 colors hardwood ("Sonokeling") with a mild steel ring. The sheath is stained hardwood, with a carved dragon in light varnish. The overall length is 13 1/4". Recent manufacture.

Amuk Murugul 13th June 2011 06:26 AM

Hullo DaveA,

Looks like it could have been made by the boys at Tjiwidej, Bandoeng. I'd say no earlier than 1960s.
BTW ..... 'pawang' is not really a Soenda word but to the Soenda its equivalent is 'malim', 'one who tames wild creatures'.
As for magical powers, well ..... that's a whole new ball-game.

Best,

DaveA 13th June 2011 10:31 PM

Thank you

Excellent information, thank you Amuk!