Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thai blades in Chiang Mai museum (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16133)

lordkoos 21st September 2012 07:39 AM

Thai blades in Chiang Mai museum

1 Attachment(s)
The national museum in Chiang Mai is rather small and underfunded, yet they still have some interesting pieces. Photos weren't really allowed but I did manage a quick & dirty pic of these weapons using my phone camera. The swords are about 110 cm long.

kronckew 21st September 2012 07:42 AM

those look like halberds for use from elephant back.

cool.

lordkoos 21st September 2012 09:27 AM

Yes, I guess they are halberds, not swords.

Gavin Nugent 21st September 2012 11:55 AM

At 110cms long they fit the "sword" category far better than a halberd by definition.

My largest Silver repousse Thai sword is 112cms long in the scabbard.

Thank for sharing this image, these are seldom found or seen weapons.

Any other images from the museum?

Thanks

Gavin

CharlesS 21st September 2012 12:02 PM

These are the equivalent of two-handed broadswords and I believe they are referred to as 'darb sri gun chai', but I cannot make an exact translation...we need Nathaniel here!

Nathaniel 22nd September 2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordkoos
The national museum in Chiang Mai is rather small and underfunded, yet they still have some interesting pieces. Photos weren't really allowed but I did manage a quick & dirty pic of these weapons using my phone camera. The swords are about 110 cm long.

Nice pictures, Lord Koos. Thanks for sharing :)

Nathaniel 22nd September 2012 12:15 AM

Lord Koos...what did the description tags say for the three???

Nathaniel 22nd September 2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordkoos
Yes, I guess they are halberds, not swords.

Yes/ No. There are a few different names in Thai, one is sword the other is halberd.

Nathaniel 22nd September 2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebooter
At 110cms long they fit the "sword" category far better than a halberd by definition.

My largest Silver repousse Thai sword is 112cms long in the scabbard.

Thank for sharing this image, these are seldom found or seen weapons.

Any other images from the museum?

Thanks

Gavin

Yes, I agree with Gavin's comment...more like a long sword. These blades shape show the influence of the Chinese Yan Yue Dao.

Nathaniel 22nd September 2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
These are the equivalent of two-handed broadswords and I believe they are referred to as 'darb sri gun chai', but I cannot make an exact translation...we need Nathaniel here!

Hey Charles, Not sure.:shrug: I've heard these called Daab Sri, but I'm not sure of the meaning...and had not heard before of the Daab Sri Gun Chai. I'm sure it could be just a longer form of the name. Srigunchai, might be the name, ie one word that was just broken up into the syllables to make it easier in Romanized form to pronounce.

lordkoos 8th November 2012 08:49 AM

Hi guys, sorry to be tardy with the replies on this thread... there was little info about these in the museum, just a small tag in Thai, which I could not read. I took a couple of other discreet pictures of some of the Buddhist art but no other swords, the couple of other knives they had on display were pretty typical/nothing special.

PUFF 3rd December 2012 10:37 AM

Dahb Sri (sword of good fortune) or Dahb Chai (sword of victory), Lanna, influenced by Chainese Dao.
May also called Dahb Ngao in modern day.
Dahb Sri is shorten from Dahb Sri Khan Chai (aks Khan Chai Sri) which is mythical sword in many Buddhism cultures.
This type of sword is for martial-ceremonial purpose. They mostly come in pair, held by foot soldiers who stand next to a horse riding lord/general in troop formation. Sorry for I cant find the pic at this moment.