Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SE Asia(?) Knife identification help needed (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14924)

TimW 19th January 2012 11:02 AM

SE Asia(?) Knife identification help needed

4 Attachment(s)
hello forumites

I recently purchased an old knife. The seller defined it being 'an african ritual knife'. I am puzzled by the origin. The knife does not look African at all, but I don't have a clue of its provenance.

The knife sports a semi integral blade. Point is double edged. Handle seems to consist of horn with a metal overlay. It is embellished with a series of red dots (coral or stone?). The rear end of the handle is covered by a coin. Blade is 15 cm long, handle measures 10 cm and has a round cross section. The back of the blade is 5 mm near the handle and tapers slowly towards the tip.

My rough guess is SE Asia, but all input about its origin and age is welcome.

Thx for your help.

Tim

Iain 19th January 2012 11:31 AM

A sharper image of the butt of the knife may help to ID the coin. :)

TimW 19th January 2012 11:32 AM

the problem is not in the picture, but in the coin itself. It's a blurry coin...

Iain 19th January 2012 11:45 AM

Well a larger photo would help me at least, from what I can see now it looks potentially like Arabic script and I am already beginning to wonder if the coin is Ottoman.

Coral is a material they were fond of. However I have to say weapons from this sphere of influence are not an area where I have much experience. :o

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 19th January 2012 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks like a Musandam shehi knife and decorated in coral (Morgan). I only have a modern derivative to hand but it illustrates my point. Cannot read the coin but could be a copy of a venetian ducat obliterated by a big old iron spiggot in its centre. :shrug:

ariel 19th January 2012 04:11 PM

IMHO, it is a North African Khodmi.

Lew 19th January 2012 05:20 PM

Could be a reworked European vendetta knife?

TimW 20th January 2012 07:35 AM

I don't think it's a Khodmi. I have 2 of them. Workmanship and blade geometry is completely different.

chregu 20th January 2012 06:44 PM

hello together
For me, the blade is Corsican, only the handle does not fit.
Chregu

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 22nd January 2012 04:37 PM

Salaams ~ Check out "Shafra" by Lew and "are these Shafras" by Archer on our own research and see #4 by Lew shows where the back edge of the blade near the hilt is patterned... I feel certain that this points to Shafra or perhaps Shehe (Musandam Omani) design. the coin appears to be Arabic... though we aren't sure ... perhaps a better picture or a clean up on that would be useful... Morgan (coral) is a common decorative on Omani and Yemeni work. :shrug:
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.