Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Barong - Gold! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19023)

Battara 8th September 2014 01:27 AM

Barong - Gold!

2 Attachment(s)
Greetings,

I got this last year and got the tail restored and the bottom gold ring next to the blade. I also etched the blade. The chased sleeve tested out at 10k or more of gold alloyed with silver.

This piece is Sulu and, according to Spunger, comes from the town of Bun-Bun.

These first 2 pictures are how I got the piece.

Enjoy!

Battara 8th September 2014 01:30 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of the barong now restored.

CharlesS 8th September 2014 08:48 AM

Jose,

Lovely piece!

What characteristics of this barung identify it as Sulu, and more particularly from Bun-Bun??

mross 8th September 2014 02:41 PM

Jose,
The tail restoration is awesome. Excellent work. The rest looks pretty good too. :D

VANDOO 8th September 2014 03:44 PM

VERY NICE!!! :D WAS A NEW HANDLE MADE FOR THIS BASED ON THE OLD ONE OR WAS JUST THE BROKEN PIECE REPLACED? EITHER WAY WHOEVER DID IT WAS A MASTER, DOES HE MAKE REPAIRS AND REPLACEMENTS FOR ALL CUSTOMERS?

Oliver Pinchot 8th September 2014 03:50 PM

Highest praise for your eye, patience and steady hand. Exceptional work on a great piece, congratulations!

Sajen 8th September 2014 05:06 PM

First class restauration of the tail, unvisible, wow! I think you only add the tail instead of carve a new handle, correct?

Have the same question like Charles, how can you both sure that the barong is from Bun-Bun?

Battara 8th September 2014 11:32 PM

Thank you folks. Maggie Friedland did the tail carving and together we both designed the carving. I based the tail carving on samples from similar pieces and from the nose.

Bun-bun - not sure. I believe however Spunger based this on the shape of the hilt pommel and nose carving. I consulted him for the designing of the tail.

CharlesS 9th September 2014 04:08 PM

Just noticing again this lovely piece.

I am looking at the ferrule and like several I have, it is a floral motif. I think you will agree that it makes the ferrule more interesting, but the quality of the work is dubious(same as it is on mine), especially by standards of what we know the Moros COULD do.

What's your take on that?

I know in the past you have mentioned that some of the better floral motifs on Moro work might be Chinese or at least Chinese inspired...might this be a Moro version of a Chinese motif, minus the eye for detail?

Battara 9th September 2014 10:43 PM

Yes I would say that a Moro of lesser skill did the ferrule ukkil rather than on of Chinese training.