Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chinese Glaive (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17949)

Iliad 18th December 2013 06:39 AM

Chinese Glaive

6 Attachment(s)
Greetings to all,
My latest purchase is this Chinese Glaive. The seller is a reputable UK dealer and it was described as a 19th century polearm. The blade is quite thick and weighty. It could be used as a handheld weapon, or fastened to the end of a pole (fixed into the end of a hollow pole, like a plug bayonet?).
I thought that it may be worth posting photos to go into the archives. Comments will be appreciated.
Regards to all,
Brian

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 18th December 2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iliad
Greetings to all,
My latest purchase is this Chinese Glaive. The seller is a reputable UK dealer and it was described as a 19th century polearm. The blade is quite thick and weighty. It could be used as a handheld weapon, or fastened to the end of a pole (fixed into the end of a hollow pole, like a plug bayonet?).
I thought that it may be worth posting photos to go into the archives. Comments will be appreciated.
Regards to all,
Brian

Salaams Iliad~ I think the sellers description of Chinese military glaive was the way it was put, although, I can't see it myself. Why would they bother tying these or slotting them on to bamboo poles when they had Glaives already on a pole? Would this not simply have been a sword/axe weapon..?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Gavin Nugent 18th December 2013 08:16 AM

Hi Brian,

I can not see Chinese here at all?

Indian perhaps, sort of a Ram Dao type chopper?

Do you have the sellers complete description and can they other further insight?

Gavin

CharlesS 18th December 2013 02:22 PM

I would have to agree. This appears from top to bottom to be an Indian or Nepalese 'ram dao' sacrificial sword.

Iliad 23rd December 2013 08:32 PM

Hi to all,
I have referred the matter back to the seller and he concedes that the item may well be Indian.
Regardless of origin, I like it very much and am pleased to have it in my collection.
Thanks to all who commented.
Best,
Brian

CharlesS 23rd December 2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iliad
Hi to all,
I have referred the matter back to the seller and he concedes that the item may well be Indian.
Regardless of origin, I like it very much and am pleased to have it in my collection.
Thanks to all who commented.
Best,
Brian

You should be very pleased...it is, indeed, a very nice example of a ram dao.

spiral 23rd December 2013 10:00 PM

Most Ram Dao are from Bengal...

Id guess this one is as well.

Spiral