Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What were they smoking? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12208)

Lew 14th July 2010 10:12 PM

What were they smoking?

I was watching this on ebay. An old Omani khanjar with a rhino horn hilt but the blade is completely rusted away and the scabbard needs much restoration :shrug:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEDWX:IT

ariel 15th July 2010 12:40 AM

Nothing wrong with trying to sell it, but ...36 bids from 7 idiots is a sight worth cherishing!

Atlantia 15th July 2010 01:04 AM

Any chance the higher bidders were simply buying the Rhino horn for the Asian market?

laEspadaAncha 15th July 2010 01:12 AM

Remember, all it takes for an auction to be a successful one is two bidders... ;)

On the flip side, when I attend brick-and-mortar auctions, I usually work with the couple guys I'll know to decide who's going to bid on what. This ensures we don't unnecessarily drive the price up on items. Sucks for the auction house, but works for us!

Rick 15th July 2010 01:27 AM

Is that 'ringing' ? :confused:

laEspadaAncha 15th July 2010 01:37 AM

I had to look up the term, and yep... that's "ringing!"

The couple auction houses on the regional circuit I hit up with these guys don't seem to pay it much mind. Maybe it's due to the business we bring at/to their auctions, maybe it's due to the horse trading we conduct with these guys out of auction, but either way, it works for us.

Now, with that in mind, there are other auction houses that get pissed if their customers so much as conduct business with each other after the auction. I guess the trick is knowing how each auction goes about their business, as each is different.

As far as those couple who do tolerate "ringing," there's still no accounting for the loose cannon "X" factor who will pay whatever they have to if something is purdy and shiny enough. ;)

Lew 15th July 2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
Any chance the higher bidders were simply buying the Rhino horn for the Asian market?

Rhino horn has to be fresh they would not use a 100 year old piece in eastern medicine.

Emanuel 15th July 2010 03:06 AM

It could also have been bought to mate the hilt with a new blade and fittings for the Yemeni/Saudi high-end jambiya markets. I've read of jambiyas fetching much more than this, when loaded with enough bling and with the right attributed provenance.

Rick 15th July 2010 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emanuel
It could also have been bought to mate the hilt with a new blade and fittings for the Yemeni/Saudi high-end jambiya markets. I've read of jambiyas fetching much more than this, when loaded with enough bling and with the right attributed provenance.

This is exactly what I am thinking due to the question asked of the Dealer .

Bet it went home for restoration and a new blade . :)

Lew 15th July 2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
This is exactly what I am thinking due to the question asked of the Dealer .

Bet it went home for restoration and a new blade . :)

Rick

For the price paid plus a few hundred more for restoration it would be easier to wait around a pic up a better example in way better shape for about the same money.

Rick 15th July 2010 02:51 PM

One can only guess .... ;) :)

Devadatta 15th July 2010 04:48 PM

I would say that's a Saudi khanjar, not Omani

Lew 15th July 2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devadatta
I would say that's a Saudi khanjar, not Omani

Omani or Saudia the point is they spent big bucks on a hilt and scabbard.