Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eBay MORO KRIS WOOTZ?? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92)

Double Edge 21st January 2005 02:32 PM

Gene,

Now you're asking for my trade secrets. Okay, just don't tell the competition.

I finished the blade to a "worn out" 600 grit, using 3M automotive paper and water. I used the standard Archer Etchant brand ferric chloride from Radio Shack, but cut it with 5 parts water. That's far more diluted than I usually do for damascus, but the idea is to color rather than eat away metal from the surface and this ratio gives you more control. Al told me to wipe it on then rinse it off, but I just wasn't fast enough on the first two etchings. I had to go back and refinish the blade. The third etching was wipe with the etchant and rinse in about 3 seconds. It was messy, but grass has started to grow back over our work area! After that last etch and rinse I hosed the entire blade with WD-40 to displace the water. It sat with the WD-40 for a couple of days, with me adding more a few times. This let the etch "cure" a bit, then I cleaned the oil off and waxed it. I've found that certain waxes are great for rust prevention, at least in most places (and with collectors who really know how to take care of carbon steel). The sword was exhibited at the Knifemakers Guild show then delivered to its owner in Hawaii with a wax coating. I did no further polishing of the steel after the etch. The picture of the entire sword makes the blade look blacker than it really is. What you see of the blade in the handle close up is more accurate. It is a darker gray with the white crystals showing.

Did I pay my wife? Gene, I pay my wife, who works for me and is my accountant, every penny I make. She in turn gives me an allowance.

By the way, Al Pendray is not the only man making wootz these days. This past weekend at the Collectors Show, a knife show in Napa California, I got to see two blades of modern wootz from Rick Furrer. Pretty cool stuff!

Thanks for the compliments, folks. I appreciate them.

David

Mare Rosu 21st January 2005 04:40 PM

Quote by David:
"By the way, Al Pendray is not the only man making wootz these days. This past weekend at the Collectors Show, a knife show in Napa California, I got to see two blades of modern wootz from Rick Furrer. Pretty cool stuff!"
David, you say Rick Furrer is also making wootz? I was under the impression that Al Pendray had a US Paten on the wootz process. If so then Rick must have another way of making his wootz, all very interesting I say.

I can see now why you work for your wife considering the way she can shoot her pistol! :eek:

Thanks for the information on the polishing of the wootz Kris, now lets see, I have a hose and water so I am now all set to go into competition with you! :D
Gene

Double Edge 21st January 2005 06:35 PM

PATENTS

Gene,

I'm not aware of any patents Al might have on wootz. Others have made it besides Al and Rick. I believe Larry Harley claims to have made wootz, although I have not seen any. Rick does make a small ceramic crucible into which he adds iron and his "secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices". He showed me a small blade, about 6" long, just over an inch wide, and almost 5/32 thick that he has made to replicate (to some extent anyway) an antique middle eastern knife. His color and patterning were a bit subtle, but remember I'm more used to pattern welded damascus with a good deal of contrast. Rick also had heat treated this blade and it showed a hamon. I found that odd, but did not have the time to get more details on it. Either this one or another had some interesting patterning, a variation of a ladder I believe. I found the wootz interesting enought that I'm itching to make something with it.

Yes, my wife is quite a shot. She may not be the Texas NRA Bullseye champ, but still I wouldn't want to be on the other end of her sights.

Competition? Go for it!

David

Double Edge 23rd January 2005 05:25 PM

OTHER MODERN WOOTZ

Gene and Others,

In this discussion on wootz I mentioned Ric Furrer's wootz. At this link

http://www.collectors-show.com/artistgall.html

you can see a couple of pictures of his steel. This is a gallery of makers who attended the Collectors Show, the knife show last weekend in Napa, California. Ric's pics are about half way down. You can click the thumbnails to enlarge the pictures. The knife in the picture just above Ric himself was at the show. Nice piece.

David

Jeff D 23rd January 2005 05:41 PM

Mare Rosu,

You might be interested in this discussion, it is long but well worth the time. There are photo's of Ric's wootz posted.

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Jeff

Mare Rosu 23rd January 2005 11:58 PM

THANKS

Double Edge;
Thanks for the link. Ric wootz sure looks good to me, it has the same pattern as the wootz I have (Pendray & Oriental Arms ) woots blades.

Jeff D.
Now that is one long posting! thank you :)
I should answer those folks as I have one of those pictured ingots of wootz from Oriental Arms. Have a bar from them also.
Now the BIG question/comment is that I had a very large bar of wootz from the Alwar Armory in India with inscriptions on the ingot, I had Al Pendray make a Bowie our of half of it which is a companion of one of Al's own wootz Bowie he also made for me (check the Mug posting and take a look)
I had no problem in having it heated and beated by Al, into a Bowie.
From the information I have is that the Indian Government has stopped exportation of such ingots. Mine came from Europe via Oriental Arms.
I plan to keep the two remaining wootz ingots as they are and not make a blade from them.
Thanks again guys :)